Camera stabilizers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 28th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #1
New Boot

Camera stabilizers

I am thinking about getting a FlowPod or Glidecam camera stabilizer but in their respective websites they dont mention the XL2 yet (they only make reference to the XL1s) so I wonder if their current products would work with the newest camera.

Anyone knows if these stabilizers are compatible with the XL2?

Any recommendation as to what brand (mentioned above or any other) would work better?
Carlos Porras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:57 AM   #2

In a word -- yes.

If it works with the XL1s, it will work with the XL2. The XL1s, fully loaded, weighs 6 lbs 4 7/8 oz (2.86 kg). The XL2, fully loaded, weighs 7.8 lbs. (3545g). A tad over 1 more pound.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Be prepared for an upper-body workout. As hefty as the XL2 is, using it on any stabilizer is going to put a serious load on your arms. In my opinion your best bet is to go with a rig that includes a vest and an articulated arm, such as the VariZoom FlowCam ProLite.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your comments. I wrote the people at Varizoom and this is what they had to say:

Carlos,

It could handle the weight, but the length of the unit makes it difficult to balance, as it tends to be very front heavy. You could buy one and return it if you can't get it to work, as we have a 30 day return policy. You would definitely need extra weights, though.

TS
Carlos Porras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:23 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Be prepared for an upper-body workout. As hefty as the XL2 is, using it on any stabilizer is going to put a serious load on your arms. In my opinion your best bet is to go with a rig that includes a vest and an articulated arm, such as the VariZoom FlowCam ProLite. -->>>

There's many workarounds for the weight issue. One is to buy a body pod or a vest with arm of course. But if you don't have the money, there's guerilla ways too. I remember one time I had to use a Glidecam for a very long shot. I did not have any kind of weight support system with me, so I just used elastic security cables strapped in a strategic way around my neck and back with cussions. I then connected this very weirdo looking rig to my holding arm. I probably removed 90% of the weight from my arm that way and redistributed it to my neck and back. It worked and I did not end up paralyzed ;-)
David Lach is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)