Required Accy's for Magiqcam II? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:02 PM   #1
Tourist

Required Accy's for Magiqcam II?

Just ordered the Magiqcam II w/ low mode bracket to use with my XL1. Was a bit surprised to find out they don't sell the "whole package" including monitor, batteries, etc. Can someone give me a quick run-down of everything else I'll need?

Recommended monitor, batteries, cables, brackets, etc? Model #s would be helpful. I usually buy all my gear from B&H. Thanks in advance.
Seth Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Welcome aboard DVInfo.net Seth. Good to have you with us. I'm
sure some folks with Magiqcam experience will drop in to help you
along. Congratulations on your new purchase!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 04:02 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi, we just received ours today, wonderful gear, congrats on your purchase.

You will need a C stand, a monitor, a battery (for the monitor) some working out at the Gym while you wait for yours to arrive.

The c stand we used is a Microphone stand, the type with 3 legs, we removed the head and the mount plate that comes with your magiqcam just slides on the top., battery is a 12V 3.2A from our local battery shop, we tied ous down with Plastic zip ties..

Monitor, ours is a Lenoxx portable TV/monitor cheap but works well.
We also use XL1. No trouble with the setup..

Trevor
Trevor Crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #4
Wrangler

Just a word of warning with that mike stand Trevor; I don't know how wide the footprint of the legs are but the mike stands I've seen are not exceptionally stable for this sort of purpose. Since the Magiqcam's weight is offset from the center point of the stand when docked (and even more so when balancing), I'd recommend adding a sandbag or two to keep it from tipping.

As a recommendation to all, if you can find a wide base stand with lockable casters, it will make your life much easier. Being able to roll the stand around is a huge improvement over lifting it, especially with the rig on it.
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the heads-up on the mic stand, I did change the system, it now uses the top of a mic stand fitted into a heavy office chair base (5 legs with casters).

The mic stand it's self was quite unstable but if the weight was kept over 1 leg worked for the purpose of setting it up..

Trevor.
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:35 AM   #6
New Boot

OK for those that are interested, I mada a 'C' Stand out of a Bag truck. I wellded a small piece of tubing on the top that will handle the docking station, I have built a seat (folding) on the front and have a camel pack (water) attached to it as well. Now I can carry the trunk, the camera case, a tripod, a shoulder brace, I have somewhere to sit (and recover)... and still have somewhere to balance the magiqcam, and when it comes time to dock.... it's the right height.

Keep safe

Trevor Crump
Pure Emotion
Townsville
Old November 28th, 2004, 07:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Trevor. It's good that you got yourself into homebuilding but could you please post a pic?

I keep having to remind people that pic say a thousand words. I don't know about others but even before trying to explain something that involves homebuilt stuff I always provid a pic for better understanding of what I am talking about. It makes things easier. On top of that you don't need so uch words to describe what you did. ;)

It's usually the case that people always ask to see a pic so it should be second nature to just post one. My thoughts anyway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)