Glidecam v-8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 8th, 2002, 12:36 AM   #1

Glidecam v-8

Anyone have a link to a movie or clip done with the glidecam v-8. I know that there is a demo of v-16 on glidecams website but wanted to see if there were any difference the way the v-8 worked. SO if anyone have any links please share.
Old September 8th, 2002, 10:29 AM   #2
Major Player

It actually works the same as the V-16, the only difference being that its slightly smaller and designed for lighter cameras. I currently don't know of any demo clips on line however.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Trustee

Pray

Here's a little short I shot when I got the v-8 last year...this is pretty much right out of the box...no training or practice on my part, but I think it shows that the unit definitely delivers.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater4.html

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2002, 01:40 AM   #4

glidecam

Thanks much Barry that was a nice clip.
Old September 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by barrygoyette : Pray

no training or practice on my part, but I think it shows that the unit definitely delivers.
-->>>

Definatley, infact I really, really want one. I like experimenting with motion. I want to do something on skis this winter actually, hehe. I'm sure the v-8 would help deliver some killer 1st-person shots.
I also want something stable to use on my car, I noticed GlideCam offers a car mount too. Sweet stuff.
Old September 13th, 2002, 08:34 AM   #6
Wrangler

Andrew:

Because of the shifting weight and body angle involved in sports like skiing, skating/rollerblading and the like, it's a lot safer to stick with a handheld stabilizer (one that doesn't attach to your body with a vest and arm). In the Glidecam line this would be the 4000, or various other manufacturers. The reason being that the position of the rig in a body mounted system is very dependent on the angle of your torso, and any unexpected leaning that may occur will cause the rig to fly out and possible cause you to lose your balance. And of course, falling down with all that gear strapped to your body is not pretty (I've done it with running shots and lived to tell the tale, but I use spotters and they have helped break the fall...the insurance took care of what was left of the equipment!).
Old November 13th, 2002, 06:41 AM   #7
Woodyfang

I've done a few shots with a handheld stabiliser on my skateboard. it worked fine; there was too much pavenment in shot and the camera swayed so much it looked like i was drunk, but that as because i hadn't set up the weight properly.

if trying any moving shots, have a few rehearsals and watch the results back, because u really can't concentrate on/correct framing when you're bouncing around and concentrating on staying upright

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 02:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Barry Goyette : Pray

Here's a little short I shot when I got the v-8 last year...this is pretty much right out of the box...no training or practice on my part, but I think it shows that the unit definitely delivers.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette/iMovieTheater4.html

Barry -->>>

I just watched it. Very nice! Two thumbs up!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:21 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm thinking of moving from a 2000 Pro to a V-8 but was looking for some advice hopefully from Charles or Casey before I part with any cash. The main problem I have with the 2000 is that I can go for about 5 minutes before it just becomes too heavy, I presume the V8 with vest and arm will allow me to spread the weight much more resulting in longer usage times? Also although the 2000 gives me pretty smooth shots there's still a little motion up and down when running or walking quickly, again would the arm of the V8 completely isolate body movement from the camera? Some of the largest rigs have a 2 section spring arm but the V series only has one spring section to the arm, what is the reason for this? Does the 2 spring section arm provide a smoother motion or is it just for heavier rigs. I know this last question is all a bit subjective but will I see a big difference in the quality of shots by using a V8 over the 2000.

Think thats all for now.

Thanks.

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 10:06 AM   #10
Warden

Hi John,

I've been using the V-8 for several years and am very satisfied with it's overall performance. Hopefully Charles and Casey will post a few comments in a few days. I know Charles is busy with his film challenge this weekend and still shooting Scrubs.

I believe the second spring is for larger, heavier cameras. I find the V-8 is perfect for the XL1 and accessories. If you are using a smaller , lighter camera the V-8 may be too much. My personal experience is that the adjustments are very touchy. Balance is critical, both front and back and side to side. It took me probably a week to get the balance adjusted properly. Then it was practice, practice, practice.

Isolation from body movement is never totally achieved with the V-8. It is still too small of a unit to achieve total isolation. You would need to move up to a V-16 or a Steadicam to achieve total isolation. I find the V-8 allows me greater comfort and less strain in operation. I can shoot longer shots and I'm less fatigued at the end of the day.

Until I had shoulder problems, I made a point of using it for at least an hour or two every week. That way it felt like second nature when I would use it for a job.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 10:22 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Jeff,

I'll be using it with a VX2000 with beachbox etc, so should be OK. Have you used any hand held stabalisers? Just wondering if you had any comparsions between handheld and the V8. When you say you're never totaly isolated, what movement is transmitted to the camera?.

John.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM   #12
Warden

I had borrowed a couple of the smaller (hand held) models but don't remember specifically which models. I know one was a Steadicam, the other a Glidecam. The Glidecam was probably the 4000 and the Steadicam was probably the JR (?) or another discontinued model. The XL1 was too heavy for me with those rigs. I'm 6 ft. and 155 lbs., not a big guy but I've a very strong upper body. After a couple of minutes, maybe less, my arm would start to shake and that was it. The vest redistributes the weight to my hips and makes all the difference.

I've never been able to totally control the up and down motion. It doesn't seem unbalanced, it just takes very small adjustments to keep it level. Combine the need for small adjustments with an up and down motion (climbing stairs) and I don't feel I have adequate control (small adjustments translate to large motion). But for pans and lateral movement the control is excellent.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 11:37 AM   #13
Major Player

Thanks for that Jeff, hopefully charles and Casey can also add their wisdom, I just want to make sure I'll get a good return for my £2k.

John.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 04:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Still thinking of questions, so here another couple, whats the real difference between the V8 and the V16. From the pictures you can obviously see the sleds are quite different, but how much different are they?, do they use the same gimbal? is the V16's much better. I've watched the V16 demos on the web site and they look really good, is this kind of footage possible with the V8(Obviously practice will be required). Is there any real differences with the arm and vest, are they just stronger to support the extra weight?

I'll probably have more questions on this tomorrow :) so thanks for any info

Thanks.

John.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 05:23 PM   #15
Major Player

On the V16 it says the gimbal can be moved to allow for varying camera heights, does this mean that the V8 is set at one height? I also read on the website that the spring in the arm can have the spring force adjusted, why is this necessary and what will it do?

Sorry for all these questions :)

John.
John Steele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)