DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Magiqcam shreeking arm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/36376-magiqcam-shreeking-arm.html)

Erik Brul December 14th, 2004 06:18 AM

Magiqcam shreeking arm

Hi all,
A problem with the Magiqcam Rig. The bottom part of the dual arm is shreeking a lot. I think it is not the spring but the arm itself.
Anyone else with this problem ?

I have already mailed to John from Animagique.. so I keep you posted..

Erik

Ed Liew December 14th, 2004 07:41 AM

sorry for my ignorant, what does "shreeking" mean?

ed

Erik Brul December 14th, 2004 08:39 AM

Sorry, I'm from the Netherlands.. so some words in english.., ok :

I mean ' ieeeee' ieeee' sound. Like the springs needs some oil to move smoother.. Or some cracking sound..

? Erik

Ed Liew December 14th, 2004 10:38 AM

no worry, my english is not that good either. have you try doing a search on the subject matter. if i'm not mistaken, there was another owner having the same problem - squeaky sound coming from the arm.
in term of performance, what would you say?
i don't have problem with the arm at the moment flying a panasonic dvc200, except for the spongy thing have drop off. small matter that is. one thing for sure, the arm seems to be working at it maximum with this setup (less then 6 kg) even though it claimed to be able to handle up to 14 or 16 lb, about 7 kg. or maybe i have it wrong. 16lb camera or 16lb with camera, camera base, monitor, battery and sled? anyone?

ed

Ed Liew December 14th, 2004 10:50 AM

hi erik,
found the link http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15464&perpage=15&highlight=magiqcam%20squeaky&pagenumber=4
not sure what was the outcome:(
anyway, good luck.

ed

Erik Brul December 14th, 2004 02:03 PM

You are right Ed..., same situation : My Magiqcam got really squeaky.

Hope John will answer mine email soon..

Erik

Erik Brul December 14th, 2004 04:48 PM

Btw Ed.., I have several hours of flying the rig with the JVC GY-DV500 camera. I will describe the complete package :

On top : JVC camera with 1 np1 accu + viewfinder + microphone.
On bot : 1 x marshall battery + 1 np1 battery and at front some marshall monitor. With the sled extended at max below and both the springs at almost maxium.. it was steady balanced and easy to fly.

I think it is almost 7 kg. at the top and the same at the bottom. I have put a question on this board about this weight. According to John answers on mine emails with this situation and his info on the website.. 15 lbs should be possible so DV500 and your DVC200 should be no problem.

I think it is the max. possible. The Sony DVCAM camera's are to heavy for this rig.

Now I have sold the jvc and will switch to a Panasonic DVX100A camera. This should be at least 4 kg. less weight.

Regards, Erik

Ed Liew December 14th, 2004 08:00 PM

let just hope it will not break.

from john last mail, he said he is "extremely busy". might be a while before you get a reply from him. good thing is he do check into this forum.

ed

Erik Brul December 15th, 2004 12:01 AM

Now.. nice and fast response from John :

' Hello Erik,
You can use a little light household oil in the arm joints. If you look between the sheet metal top and bottom pieces, and the upright arm sections, you should see some nylon bushings. Just put a drop or two of oil on these areas, and work the arm a bit. That should take care of it.
Thank you
John '

Have asked John if possible to receive photo with some pointers for visualize his explaination..

So far so good..

Erik

Ed Liew December 15th, 2004 06:36 AM

good to know that you are getting fast feedback. i'm still waiting for my sled to come back before i can fly again. hope it will reach me before christmas, working on a mtv for a local rock band.

ed

Trevor Crump December 18th, 2004 12:06 AM

I had the same problem and found that the adjustment screw, (the allen key one) is hitting the side of the slot, it stopped when the powder coating wore away...

In all a great unit, well designed, well built, and servicable.

The 'webbing straps' on the vest, departed company from the rivets, ours has now been modified with a plate on the inside and bolts with 'acorn' nuts on the outside. Looks better as well.

XL1s rig...
Trevor

Ed Liew December 18th, 2004 02:01 AM

hi trevor,
not sure which part you are refering to but would help if you can post some picture of the modification;)

ed

Trevor Crump December 18th, 2004 06:57 AM

OK Mods have been photographed and placed on site for viewing, just scroll down till you fine the Magiqcam Mods.

http://www.progalleries.com.au/PureEmotion

Trevor Crump
Pure Emotion

Simon Wilks December 18th, 2004 08:00 AM

trevor, do you have a close up of that monitor you are using?

Ed Liew December 18th, 2004 09:17 AM

ahh.. you shorten the straps.

a few question, is this the new moving gimbal sled?
the sled post, does it still have two section?
what is the orange color pieces of material on the docking station?

fyi, i think you got it wrong hanging the arm this way. hang it through the arm opening, where the spring is.

thanks for the pics.

ed