DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   do the workshop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/373829-do-workshop.html)

Paul Mailath September 8th, 2009 05:14 AM

do the workshop

I just finished a workshop with Phil Balsdon in Sydney and I feel sooo much more confident about operating.

Regardless of where you are, do a workshop, I know just setting up the pilot gets you better footage and with practice you can get pretty good - but you can also build on bad practices & habits. A workshop will set you off in the right direction - it's well worth the money.

I was doing a number of thing incorrectly and I thought it was just a matter of practice - wrong. I really think it's wise to start off in the right direction and get someone who knows to show you the basics and get you started.

Nick Tsamandanis September 8th, 2009 08:22 AM

You are right there Paul. If you practice wrong, you are just wasting time!
Steadicam Workshops using the Steadicam Flyer based in Australia

Rochelle Morris September 12th, 2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1326785)
I just finished a workshop with Phil Balsdon in Sydney and I feel sooo much more confident about operating.

Regardless of where you are, do a workshop, I know just setting up the pilot gets you better footage and with practice you can get pretty good - but you can also build on bad practices & habits. A workshop will set you off in the right direction - it's well worth the money.

I was doing a number of thing incorrectly and I thought it was just a matter of practice - wrong. I really think it's wise to start off in the right direction and get someone who knows to show you the basics and get you started.

Hi Paul,

What rig are you using? Did you practice on the pilot?

Rochelle Morris September 12th, 2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Tsamandanis (Post 1327300)
You are right there Paul. If you practice wrong, you are just wasting time!
Steadicam Workshops using the Steadicam Flyer based in Australia

Nick,

this would be great workshop to also to have in Melbourne.
Question - how flexible are the rules? ie can they be applied to the merlin, glidecam etc?

Don Bloom September 12th, 2009 07:26 PM

Practice doesn't make perfect---practice makes PERMANENT!

My golf swing is proof of that. ;-)

Nick Tsamandanis September 12th, 2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris (Post 1345772)
Nick,

this would be great workshop to also to have in Melbourne.
Question - how flexible are the rules? ie can they be applied to the merlin, glidecam etc?

Contact Phil, if you can get enough participants he will travel to Melbourne. The same principals apply to all stabilizers, operating the Merlin you are pretty much on your own, its a different animal to tame.

Joe Lawry September 12th, 2009 11:39 PM

There is talk of a workshop in Melbourne in January 2010.

Charles Papert September 13th, 2009 03:38 AM

Ha, if Phil doesn't want to do it I'll come out! (Melbourne, Auckland, all good!)

Glad you enjoyed your workshop, Paul. It's a shame that so many folks who buy small stabilizers all tend to do the same thing with them at first--run around chasing their friends/girlfriends/dog, but generally spend little to no time working on the basics such as you were undoubtedly shown at the workshop.

Charles King September 13th, 2009 11:55 PM

congrats Paul. I remember my first workshop. Now I want to do one with Jerry, if I get the chance and my budget together. ;) Hey CP, when do you give a workshop?

Paul Mailath September 14th, 2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochelle Morris (Post 1345771)
Hi Paul,

What rig are you using? Did you practice on the pilot?

I started off with a merlin & arm & Vest but upgraded to the pilot -that's what I'm using now and I don't see myself getting anything bigger for weddings etc.

Paul Mailath September 14th, 2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1347464)
Ha, if Phil doesn't want to do it I'll come out! (Melbourne, Auckland, all good!)

maybe a trans tasman, week long advanced course?

Charles Papert September 14th, 2009 01:51 AM

that would work for me...my 2-day advanced course could easily be expanded. Think there would be interest?

Nick Tsamandanis September 14th, 2009 06:20 AM

I will be there!

Joe Lawry September 18th, 2009 04:16 AM

Me too!

Louis Puli & Phil Balsdon are running the course in Melbourne in January 2010 - details over on steadicamforum.com

I will be there. However.. if you ever come down under Charles, i'll be there for that too.