DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Most Affordable/Quality Steadicam device for GL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/38550-most-affordable-quality-steadicam-device-gl2.html)

Jay Stevens January 29th, 2005 06:53 PM

Most Affordable/Quality Steadicam device for GL2?

I'd like to get some ideas for a steadicam for the gl2 that is good quality and affordable for movie shots. Anyone have some ideas on these things. I really don't want to spend alot... say100 to 300 dollars.

Thanks everyone

David Yuen January 29th, 2005 10:59 PM

SteadyTracker from Promax

Stephen Schleicher gave the the SteadyTracker Extreme from Promax a good review.

Bob Costa January 29th, 2005 11:21 PM

You can buy a Glidecam 2000 new or a 4000 used under $300.

Richard Lewis January 30th, 2005 12:08 PM

I second that about the Glidecam 2000. I've been using it for a while with my "GL2" and it’s a nice little performer. Very well made, and a quality product.

Jim Painter January 31st, 2005 08:33 PM

I've got a 'never been used' Glidecam 2000 still in the box. If interested you can email me at jpainter@softresc.com.

Thanks,
Jim

Marco Leavitt February 1st, 2005 08:30 AM

I just bought a Steadicam JR for my GL1 and am really loving it. You might find one used in your price range. They turn up on eBay a lot.

Patrick Pike February 1st, 2005 10:18 AM

I have both a DV Rig Pro and a VariZoom Flowpod for our GL2's. I think both are excellent products for their prices. We film weddings (where we film according to our situation) and have found the FlowPod to be perfect for this type of work because of the monopod. We can very quickly (about 5 seconds) go from a solid monopod to a roving stabilized shot, but it takes practice to get the movement right. I assume that this is true with any stabilzation device though.

Travis Cossel February 1st, 2005 11:34 AM

I also use the VariZoom Flowpods for weddings and other projects. It's not a true 'steadicam' device, but for $100, it's wonderful. It's easier to use than a real steadicam unit, but a real steadicam unit will also give you better results once you've built up your experience.

Terry Thompson February 7th, 2005 12:41 AM

Travis,

Where did you get a Flowpod for $100? The best I have found is around $400.

Terry

Travis Cossel February 7th, 2005 01:23 PM

I apologize. I mistyped the name. I use the steadipod (it's a monopod). Sorry.

Terry Thompson February 7th, 2005 10:45 PM

stabilization systems

I just returned from the Videomaker Expo in Pasadena, CA. We did a video night where we had an hour to make a 5 minute video on a topic they would give us. It turned out the topic was "That really bothers me". There were 8 entries and I couldn't believe how bad and shaky most of the video was. It was almost like they were trying to make it look bad.
I was using my !ndicam and we did a pretty good job with our video.

The point of all this is...any stabilzier is better than none especially if you know how to use it.

Terry

By the way, we saw some of the previous years contest winners and one of them (very good) was taken with a GL2.