DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam JR price drop (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/39168-steadicam-jr-price-drop.html)

Tony Hall February 9th, 2005 03:42 PM

Steadicam JR price drop

Just looking at B&H and noticed that Steadicam JRs are selling for way less than they were a couple of weeks ago. Does this mean that an updated version is coming soon?

Marco Leavitt February 9th, 2005 03:52 PM

Just my luck. I bought one about three weeks ago. Grrr!

Tony Hall February 9th, 2005 03:58 PM

Yeah, I just bought a Nikon 8400. Three days later, they release their $100 rebate.

Bryan McCullough February 9th, 2005 04:06 PM

Re: Steadicam JR price drop

<<<-- Originally posted by Tony Hall : Just looking at B&H and noticed that Steadicam JRs are selling for way less than they were a couple of weeks ago. Does this mean that an updated version is coming soon? -->>>

With NAB coming, anything could happen.

Cliff Hepburn February 9th, 2005 04:22 PM

What was the price 2 weeks ago?

Tony Hall February 9th, 2005 06:11 PM

I think it was 700 bucks or more. Luckily, I sold mine before the price drop.

I wouldn't recommend buying one now though. I'd wait and see if a new model is coming out.

Marco Leavitt February 9th, 2005 09:40 PM

It could also just be that Tiffen wants to price them more competitively. I'll bet they were losing a lot of sales to Glidecam.

Charles Papert February 9th, 2005 10:17 PM

I was chatting with the head of Steadicam sales at Tiffen and asked if the new JR was imminent--he was pretty hush-hush, but I'll be seeing Garrett Brown next week so I'll see what I can find out.

John C. Chu February 10th, 2005 01:16 PM

I really hope they come out with a successor to the JR.

Not that there is anything "wrong" with the current model--I just like to see a quick-release plate and a slightly better design for the newer camcorders---[ But of course, camcorders comes in all shapes and sizes....]

But to start, it would also help if camera manufacturers put their tripod hole nearer its center of gravity.

One of the superior aspects of the JR--besides the easy micro djustments forward /aft and side by side, is that it folds up nicely and double as a shoulder mount.

If one were an event videographer....you can go from flying mode to shoulder mount quickly.(It also makes transporting the thing easier)

Having the outboard monitor front and center and below the camera is a great design on the JR---if one were to use the camera's built in LCD(on the left side)--there are situations where you can't see the screen.

The disadvantage of the JR-- you have to buy C cells to power that screen.

[That new Sony FX-1 with the LCD on top and centered would probably match up really nicely with ANY stabilizer.]

And the best thing of the JR? A superior training video starring Garrett Brown--the inventor/father himself-- showing you how to set up and use it.

It's inspirational and he is funny to watch and listen to.
(Charles, is he a nice as guy in person as in the video?) Check out the DVD of the first "Rocky"...Garrett Brown participates in the commentary track.

And lastly:

Here is another observation about flying the JR...

If one get it just right...and that thing is working correctly. The operator gets into a "Zen-like" zone with it...and it is a great feeling when one is effortlessly dancing and moving around things with it---You become one with that camera!

It's corny--but its true.

Filip Kovcin February 10th, 2005 01:25 PM

price drops

it's always like that. you want something, you are buying something and finally when you buy it - price drops!

any rumours about new model?

filip

Charles Papert February 10th, 2005 06:37 PM

John:

GB is one of my favorite people on earth--an incredible mind, charming and witty and I'm delighted to have gotten the opportunity to get to know him over the years.

Filip Kovcin February 10th, 2005 07:23 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : but I'll be seeing Garrett Brown next week so I'll see what I can find out. -->>>

Charles,

IF you can, please say hello to mr Garrett Brown - from Poland. I was priviledged to talk with him (together with Irena Gruca from polish edition of german's KAMERAMAN - "film&tv kamera") last september on IBC.

please if i may ask you - just say to him that interview with him was printed in last number of magazine, and that Irena will send him a LAST copy. every single copy was sold - for the first time!

thank you,

filip

p.s.

i talked to mr Brown just once, and i was charmed with his approach, knowledge and modesty.
he IS LEGEND!

Yuli Krudo February 11th, 2005 03:28 PM

Here is the man

www.global-dvc.org/html/Garrit_and_Jan.jpg

Charles Papert February 11th, 2005 11:03 PM

Spend some time at garrettcam.com, lots of great stuff to see! My personal favorite? Molecam...

John C. Chu February 12th, 2005 07:06 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Spend some time at garrettcam.com, lots of great stuff to see! My personal favorite? Molecam... -->>>

Hey Charles,

I know you do your own short films and stuff(besides being a professional Steadicam OP)and with your contacts and knowledge in the creative circles---I have a thought/idea for you....

Documentaries are in vogue nowadays...Have you ever considered making a documentary on Garrett Brown himself?

Not a doc for just technical/film people...but one that appeals to the masses.

Of course, it should have some film clips--Rocky, The Shining etc..

Garrett is interesting...there is really a story there on how this device came to be...how he had to work and figure this device out...and how the Steadicam basically revolutionalized how things are shot..and the language of film.

You can also feature a steadicam school, a young new operator learning the ropes(weight training work in the gym)...

Philosophies..why a moving shot looks better..

And how about this...one sequence will be a "walking" interview with Garrett himself as he is operating a steadicam. You'll both be photographing each other on steadicams.

It will be two steadicam shot....and the sequence cuts back and forth between each other. You ask a question--he answers etc.

I can see how interesting that sequence would be--a "dueling" steadicam sequence--you both climbing stairs etc etc.

And of course the standard getting ready shot/getting dressed shot....ala the first "Batman", " Rambo:First Blood Part 2."

This could be really funny--as the viewer is teased as this things are mounted one piece at a time until the final full reveal of the steadicam operator who looks menancing in full gear.

Anyway....I think you should really consider it!