Glidecam Smooth Shooter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old February 14th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #16
Major Player

damnit! just when i think "the dvrig pro is what i want, the glidecam will require too much practise to get it looking good and will probably be quite heavy on my arm" and you go and make this! the upgradeability of a standard glidecam is now looking very attractive!
James Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM   #17
Wrangler

Technology marches on, James!

FYI, the suspension system will certainly relieve the weight of the system, but don't be fooled into thinking that it will make operating easier or require less practice. The basic skill is exactly the same; if anything, it will take a bit longer to get used to manuevering with the arm and vest than if it were just handheld (learning the restrictions of the system, getting through doorways etc). Absolutely worth it, though. I think handheld systems should be limited to cameras 2 lbs and under, myself.
Old February 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #18
Wrangler

Casey:

I see the Smooth Shooter is listed with dual arm posts (steel vs aluminum). Are they both the same length? I'm hoping the steel is at least twice as long if anything. I'm a big fan of extended armposts, especially with single-arm systems that have limited boom range. Although I'm puzzled that steel would be necessary...all of my armposts, even the 15" Manmaker, are aluminum and can take the torque of a fully-loaded PRO rig.
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #19
Major Player

Charles, the steel arm post is used in cases where an operator wants to quickly add a couple of pounds of weight to the end of the arm without having to take the time to redistribute weight on the 2000 or 4000 Pro and rebalance it. Solid steel was chosen simply for its weight, it has nothing to do with torque.

Both arm posts shipping with the Smooth Shooter are identical in size, varying only in weight. Longer arm posts, if anything, would be available as an accessory to be released down the road.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:40 PM   #20
Trustee

Is the Glideam 2000 Pro purchased separately
from the vest/arm or does it come all together?
And is that the regular Glidecam 2000 that is used
with it, or has it been modified?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Dave,

The Glidecam 2000 Pro or 4000 Pro must be purchased seperately.

The Smooth Shooter was designed to mate perfectly with the existing Glidecam 2000 Pro or 4000 Pro, and as such they have not been modified in any way. This provides an easy upgrade path for those who already own either of the hand-held systems.

Old February 15th, 2005, 01:34 AM   #22
Wrangler

Thanks for the armpost explanation Casey--the steel/aluminum thing is an interesting way to approach the fine trim issue.

Since it is such an easy thing to manufacture, I would think that a longer armpost would be a no-brainer as an optional accessory. The few times that I have used a single-arm rig, I've been constantly frustrated that I can't get the lens to a standard eye-height.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #23
Major Player

This looks great. It'll hold an XL1s? I can't remember how heavy it is right now.
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM   #24
Major Player

Hi Aaron,

The XL1, XL1s, and XL2 cameras all weigh in at under 10 pounds and therefore can be used on the Glidecam Smooth Shooter.

Old February 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #25
Major Player

Outstanding.

Don't foget to make one for me!
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:05 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hey Casey,
I am trying to add up alll the weight, but if anyone knows can it handle a DVX100A, with LA7200G anamorphic adapter, the Chrosziel 411-53K, with follow focus, and a small 7" LCD screen like the pany TC7?

Is that more than 10 lbs if I use the Glidecam 4000Pro.

Thanks in advance CAsey
Jun Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM   #27
Wrangler

Jun:

You might as well ditch the follow focus, you won't be able to use it while flying. The monitor should really be mounted down at the bottom of the sled to help with weight distribution also.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:22 PM   #28
Major Player

Jun,

Charles is correct, the follow focus would be useless, and the 7" LCD monitor and battery for the monitor would be used as counterweight on the bottom of the sled.

This should leave the DVX100A, AG-LA7200G, and the Chrosziel 411 on the top of the sled. Assuming the anamorphic adapter and the matte box together don't exceed about 5 pounds, you should be in good shape.

You'll really want to assemble your ready-to-shoot camera package, minus the follow-focus and LCD monitor. Make sure this includes the tape and appropriate battery for your camera. Weigh it on a scale to make sure it falls at or under 10 pounds.

Hope this helps.

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #29
Trustee

When will the girl wearing the rig be available?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:40 AM   #30
Trustee

Hum... The girl wearing the v-8 has a much better build quality! (IMO) Too bad she has been discontinued...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)