DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Five different stabilizer reviews (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/401439-five-different-stabilizer-reviews.html)

Charles King September 15th, 2009 02:08 PM

Five different stabilizer reviews

Well, I've just finished putting together several short reviews of the following systems:

• Steadicam G40
• Glidecam’s X-22 & up n’coming X-45
• Easy steady’s Light N’ Go
• L'AIGLE
• ABC’s G-Force Advanced

Hope the review is helpful in some way.

Review

Dave Gish September 15th, 2009 07:11 PM

Thanks!

I'm sort of eyeing up what my next rig might be. From your review, it looks like I might be better off with a used Steadicam brand rig as my next step.

John Ray September 16th, 2009 04:22 AM

Merlin Advice

Note: Meant for this to be new post..

I am looking to purchase a Stedicam and looks my budget will only support the Merlin and the ArmVestpack. I have the XHA1. I know this camera is close to limit on the Merlin by itself...Will the vestpack help in this respect?

Dave Gish September 16th, 2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Ray (Post 1359506)
I am looking to purchase a Steadicam and looks my budget will only support the Merlin and the ArmVestpack. I have the XHA1. I know this camera is close to limit on the Merlin by itself...Will the vestpack help in this respect?

No, the Merlin gimbal determines the weight limit. The same arm goes up to 10 pounds with the Steadicam Pilot.

My opinion, FWIW, the Steadicam Pilot-AA is a little more than the Merlin/Arm/Vest combo, but it makes a huge difference having the monitor down low on the bottom. You can walk forward with the lens pointing back. You can switch from pointing the lens forward, back, or anywhere in betwwen in the same shot. Basically, no matter where you point the lens, you can see the monitor.

Pointing the lens back over your left shoulder is really important - it allows you to walk in front of someone and see where you're going at the same time. For example, walking backward with a Merlin up stairs would be pretty dangerous, but with the Pilot, you can point the lens over your left shoulder, tilt the sled down to the angle of the stairs, and the monitor is right in line with your feet. Pointing the lens back over your left shoulder makes many other shots besides stairs better as well.

Some shots also work best when you walk forward and point the lens to the right - giving you a moving shot of a person's left profile. That also won't work with the Merlin - you can't see the monitor.

Current prices:
Pilot-AA: $3750
Steadicam | Pilot-AA Camera Stablization System | PILOT-AA | B&H
Merlin/Arm/Vest Combo: $2350
Steadicam | Merlin Camera Stabilizing System - with Arm and Vest

Sean Seah September 16th, 2009 05:40 PM

Thanks Charles. Didnt know there was such a wide selection of the higher payload rigs.

Charles King September 16th, 2009 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1361990)
Thanks Charles. Didnt know there was such a wide selection of the higher payload rigs.

No problem Sean. There are so many companies that offer higher paid Stabilizers but the problem has I stated is that most do not hit their mark when it comes to performance and options.