Best handheld stablizer system for Optura XI?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 13th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Best handheld stablizer system for Optura XI??

Him i was wondering what would be the best handheld stablizer system for the XI. I orginally intended to get a steadicam JR, but it seems, the cam is a little too light for it. Im now considering glidecam 2000.

what would you guys say?
Davis Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #2
Major Player

How much does the XI weigh?

- if it's a question of quality (and not so much money) then get the JR.

If there camera is a little too light for it, it is generally easy to ad some wight to it.
- a small metal plate alone shoudl bring up the wieght
- or maybe some camera accesories you allready have? - like camera light maybe (actually.. there is a "obie light" that you can get/comes with with JR that ads wight to the camera.) or maybe a external Mic?

- Mikko
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, the XI weighs 1.6 lbs. JR's weight restriction is from 2 to 4 lbs. I plan on buying DM-50 for it, and maybe an extra heavy duty battery; I only currently have the stock battery. So maybe these can help increase the weight. Also, im a little short on money. Im not even sure if i could afford a used JR. I found some used ones on ebay and they ran upto 270. I hear theres a newly designed JR is due for release. I dont know if i should wait for the new one or get something else
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Major Player

At least with the big rigs (and really, most gear) it is always worth it to get the very best you can afford. - It will pay off in the long run.

I too am awaiting the "new JR" that is rumored. - possibly another NAB release in April.

Are you thinking JR (with the monitor?) or the JR Lite (without monitor?) - Of course CG 2K doesn't have one.

- Mikko
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I am thinking of getting the one with the lcd, since i will be doing outdoor shooting, and the lcd on my cam is not so good with sunlight. I also heard that the flipping out the lcd on the cam can have some consequences as to the balance of the rig and having unwanted wind resistance.
Old March 15th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Major Player

Well you shoudl be able ot adjust the balance of the rig for the LCD (by moving the camera to teh other direction)
Dont' knwo about wind.. i guess it could on a light rig. - Wind is oftern teh enemy with steadicam - as you of course want ot minimise teh forces acting on the rig.

The LCD is prety good on the JR.

- Mikko
Old March 16th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- ... the XI weighs 1.6 lbs. JR's weight restriction is from 2 to 4 lbs -->>>

Any of the following accessories will put the Xi over 2 lbs.

- BP-535 battery
- DM-50 mic + BP-511 battery
- any wide angle lens
- any mic with shockmount

So if you use any of those you'll be in the JRs weight category.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)