Steadicam Flyer demo clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 27th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Steadicam Flyer demo clip

Alright all. It took some time for reasons that you all know already. I had some other issues with quality, sound and clips from te original clips but I think I managed to pick out the most important clips that I think everyone would appreciate.

One thing to note. footages from the the flyer point of view which I was flying are very short moments simply due to me not providing anything worth seeing. The ones you will see at the end was pretty much it but I think it will give you a sense of the ability of what the flyer can achieve. In the beginning there is no sound as that was messed up some how. Sound will come in arounf the middle of the video clip at the points where I tried to explain some of the features of the rig.

So, I hope you are not dissapointed by my results. Oh yeah, go easy on me. I havn't been shooting anything for over a two years now, simply due to other piorities and most of all, no rig( Still workin gon completing my rig).

So enjoy. Again, I apologies for the quality.
Please note that this clip is big. It's a 13 min clip which makes this a 25.5MB using wmv codec.

Please right click on the link and save.

homebuiltstabilizers.com/steadicamflyerdemo2.wmv
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Okay got it. Nicely done Charles. It is not everyday you see a commercial in demo. I am glad to see the flyer in action. It looks awesome. BTW, you are pretty good at balancing out the system without toching it. Cool.

Again, thanks for doing it. Now I'm considering... :)
Old March 28th, 2005, 03:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

How much is that exact model, price?
Armando Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Not sure, in the range of 5-6000 dollars. All depends where you buy from.
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #5
Wrangler

Nice form Charles, you look very comfortable in the rig, good control. Folks, it's worth mentioning that the two-axis pitch adjustment available on the Flyer is the reason it's possible to stand comfortably with no hands on the rig and move it around your body. You can actually walk 360 degrees around a rig with no hands in this way, if the monitor and arm clearance allows it.

Loved when you were demoing running in place and that cute little dog went nuts!
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert : Nice form Charles, you look very comfortable in the rig, good control. Folks, it's worth mentioning that the two-axis pitch adjustment available on the Flyer is the reason it's possible to stand comfortably with no hands on the rig and move it around your body. You can actually walk 360 degrees around a rig with no hands in this way, if the monitor and arm clearance allows it.

Loved when you were demoing running in place and that cute little dog went nuts! -->>>

Thanks CP for the comments. That dog is simply the cutiest thing I've ever seen (animal wise of course).

The lightness of the rig did permit the ease of balance with help from the fore and aft ajustments. A big plus.
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great Job

Very nicely done Charles!

I believe the side to side adjustment of the arms difficulty is not specific to that particular Flyer. Mine is the same.

If, as you mentioned, you take the weight off the arms (and loosen the fore and aft adjustment screws) the side to side can be adjusted but I've also found it easier to dock the sled for adjusting.

It's so easy you can fly it with both hands tied behind your back! ;o)
Old March 28th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Re: Great Job

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Roseman : Very nicely done Charles!

I believe the side to side adjustment of the arms difficulty is not specific to that particular Flyer. Mine is the same.

If, as you mentioned, you take the weight off the arms (and loosen the fore and aft adjustment screws) the side to side can be adjusted but I've also found it easier to dock the sled for adjusting.

It's so easy you can fly it with both hands tied behind your back! ;o) -->>>

Thanks for the verification. It was really a joy to fly the rig.
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #9
Regular Crew

In a previous thread you said it weight aprox 12lbs. That seems very light, how accurate is that information? Or could you get a solid number.
Armando Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #10
Wrangler

I'm going to be talking to Tiffen tomorrow so I will ask them...in the meantime, I peeked at B&H's website; they list it as 6 lbs!!!

Rick, which rig are you flying?

a bit weary from work today lads; up and down an exterior staircase for hours with the full-on 70 lb affair. I shall sleep well.
Old March 29th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #11
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles Papert

a bit weary from work today lads; up and down an exterior staircase for hours with the full-on 70 lb affair. I shall sleep well. -->>>

I don't know how you do it CP ;) but you are the man!
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Rig?

Charles P

Here's a chance to showcase my ignorance. By rig I guess you mean what camera?

I started with a GL2. I had to add more weight for best results. I'm now using an XL2 with far better results. I get a sense the more weight the better it works. I'm a rookie, bear that in mind.

"a bit weary from work today lads; up and down an exterior staircase for hours with the full-on 70 lb affair. I shall sleep well."

A coupla' laps around the yard in my rig and I'm pooped. My hat is off to you Charles P. I've gained a whole new respect for the big rig flyers.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #13
Wrangler

hmm, by "rig" I meant stabilizer...

<<I believe the side to side adjustment of the arms difficulty is not specific to that particular Flyer. Mine is the same...>>

I think I was confused by this, you are saying that you have a Flyer also, right? Then I guess that I'm missing what you were referring to--perhaps an issue with side to side adjustment that Charles K. had mentioned in another thread? Can't find the precedent in this one.
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Ok

Sorry for that vagueness Charles.

Yes, it's a Steadicam Flyer.

Charles K did mention it in another thread and, if I'm not mistaken, again in his demo video.

My terminology may be part of the problem as well.

When I refer to the fore and aft adjustments I'm talking about the two screws with the "wing-nuts" and the side to side adjustment the two "wheel" adjustments for the arm.

The wing-nuts are very easily adjusted. The "wheel" adjustment has been a bit of a problem for me. To adjust the "wheels" you need to raise the sled/arm to take all the weight off (I just about stuck the GL2 into a moving ceiling fan attempting this adjustment. lol) and, I found, loosen the "wing-nuts". It is possible to make the side to side adjustment without docking and with more experience I may be better able to do so in the future. For now, docking is simple enough (and at this stage of the game I can use the break).

Of course, once past the experimental stage I don't believe I'll require as much adjusting.

I truly enjoy "flyin' my rig". It's both challenging and rewarding.
Old March 30th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #15
Wrangler

gotcha.

With the big rigs, it is much easier to adjust the side-to-side (done with a wrench in those systems, but the same idea) if you swing the rig over to the same side of the body that it attaches to the vest. This releases much of the torque on this point and should make adjustment possible. Hopefully this will work with you guys on the Flyer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)