Cody Designs Group Buy? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 31st, 2005, 12:58 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Tilting?

<<<-- Originally posted by Cody Deegan : it is my personal website that shows off my artistic and filmmaking work. -->>>

I must have missed it but I could not find any video on your site in which your unit tilts the camcorder up and down. Do you have any footage demonstrating your stabilizer panning and tilting simultaneously?
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:03 AM   #47
Plays didge when lubricated

G'day Chris,

How are ya mate? Not able to make NAB just too busy, hope to make WEVA in August.

Wondering if you'd find my post, what's new in your neck of the woods?

Will have to arrange to meet earlier in the week this time if I get to Expo, could have the Mrs with me this time too.

Won't hijack the thread any more but will email you hopefully tomorrow.

Cheers..Paul.
Paul Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:21 AM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Looking forward to yer email Paul -- see ya in Vegas one way or another!

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2005, 01:26 AM   #49
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Gettemeier : I've read a few threads about home-built stabilizers constructed with Cody's plans... and from what I can tell... it 'aint for the faint of heart. A lot of people take 6 months or more to get one done. I'd be really surprised if this one-time deal hurt Cody's sales much... if at all. I've known about Cody's book for a while... and I've wanted to buy it... but the challenging process of actually building this thing has kept it on the back burner for me. If everybody got in on Armando's deal AND bought the book as a royalty... that would be more then fair.

Armando... I'll be in LA in 3 weeks. If you think it would behoove me to stop by... and you're somewhere in the LAX-Hollywood area... I'll drop in.

If you can put together a decent steadicam for under $1K I will DEFINITELY be onboard.

As a guy who is constantly trying to do nice DIY stuff I think it's incredibly generous to extend the favor of your business and connections to the DVinfo members. I'm always torn on whether or not to give away details of my work and R&D money...

I will say one thing though... you don't have hardly any posts and you've come on talking about a group buy of $1K from each member that signs up... LOL... I'll fly back out when they're done and pick mine up in person... -->>>

I am located about 30min away from LAX so if you want to stop by the warehouse let me know. You can E-mail me at wicked4u2c@aol.com I will give you my phone number. As far as having minimal post's that is understandable. Keep in mind my Internet Reputation is HUGE and I can clearly show creditability to insure a safe and easy going transaction. As far as picking it up in person, I have NO PROBLEM with that, but also keep in mind I will need a deposit to get the order going, the last thing I need is having 20 stabilizers and having everyone back out at the last minute. I am a business man, and a verbal purchase order is a BIG NO NO.

You mentioned people spent 6 months building, well I can gurantee that I will have mine done by the end of April. (4 weeks). I am just waiting for the plans to arrive, once they get here expect a 4-5 days to get a solid quotation and I will begin the pre-orders.

To check my credit, HAHA visit these sites and you can ask questions about me and my creditability.

www.clubsi.com

www.my350z.com

www.honda-tech.com

My screen Names on those forums are Wicked4u2c

And those who want to meet me in person or come by the warehouse, I have no problem with that. Well, hopefully we will know something soon (waiting for plans)
Armando Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:15 AM   #50
New Boot

In response to the question about tilts, I do have a video posted that was shot more freestyle with my rig using all axes:

www.codydeegan.com/demos/tilts.mov

Cody
Cody Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:29 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Quite a soundtrack

Thanks.

How long does it take to set up the entire rig, from unpacking to shooting?
Old April 2nd, 2005, 02:33 AM   #52
New Boot

That particular rig used to take me about 15 minutes to set up properly.

Be aware that it takes a full understanding of the sled and a lot of practice before speed is achieved in setting it up.

Cody
Cody Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:42 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Well, my friend is done giving me a time quote. I gave him both books, the regular cody designs stabilzer build and the one with the upgraded arm. Basically he calculated the time it would take to make one of these things in its aprox 120 Hours. Its not as easy as it looks, it is VERY intensive work and would take aprox 1 month to have a few manufactured. That's not even adding the cost of materials, he told me that if someone came up to him and had him do this he would charge at least a min of $2,500 per piece. Im still waiting for the price quote, as he is waiting for a few more parts of material to get pricing on. But yes, this is VERY labor intesive work, I can't imagine anyone doing this on their own spare time. I can see why people spend 6 months to 1 year to complete this project. Again, this is also using CODY's latest arm design. Looking at the way he was talking and telling me things I highly doubt this will cost under 1K like stated in the main page. I received that quote from him when he saw the unit visually on CODY's website, but after seeing all the work that needed to be done its not looking so good. Anyhow, I will know the answer by tonight or tomorrow morning. If I were to take a guess on how much this will cost I would say $1,500 at least... Regardless if anybody still wants in I will keep you guys posted on the progress of mine. Shoot, I already spent $80.00 on both books im not backing out now.
Old April 8th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #54
Regular Crew

Installment payments

With the price that high and the build time that long, will you be taking deposits and then intermediate and final payments?
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Armando, if it is $1500 then count me in.
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Re: Installment payments

<<<-- Originally posted by David Yuen : With the price that high and the build time that long, will you be taking deposits and then intermediate and final payments? -->>>

Yes, again IM trying to finalize the price but waiting on 2 material prices to get everything squared away. The more people the better of course because the 120hours will be divided by X amount of units built. As far as a deposit goes, I think a small amount of $100.00 is fine and than the remaining balance when the unit is built. And you can pay in person the remaining balance(actually preferred by me, that way I don't have to ship it) I will be taking pictures soon of the factory that will be building these units so you guys can see what machines will be used, materials and what not.
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #57
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Roger Moore : Armando, if it is $1500 then count me in. -->>>

Cool, I already have 4 people interested including yourself on this so this will help keep the cost down. I think 5-10 units will be a fair amount and we should get good prices. But believe me, its A LOT OF WORK! And those who have actually done one of these things can testify it isn't "a walk in the park".
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #58
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Installment payments

<<<-- Originally posted by Armando Ferreira :
Yes, again IM trying to finalize the price but waiting on 2 material prices to get everything squared away. The more people the better of course because the 120hours will be divided by X amount of units built. As far as a deposit goes, I think a small amount of $100.00 is fine and than the remaining balance when the unit is built. And you can pay in person the remaining balance(actually preferred by me, that way I don't have to ship it) I will be taking pictures soon of the factory that will be building these units so you guys can see what machines will be used, materials and what not. -->>>

I am interested but I can't let it go far beyond $1500. Regrettably, I won't be able to pay or pickup in person as I am on the other side of the continent.
Old April 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Re: Re: Re: Installment payments

<<<---I am interested but I can't let it go far beyond $1500. Regrettably, I won't be able to pay or pickup in person as I am on the other side of the continent. -->>>

That's another thing I have to factor in also is shipping, i need to find out weight of the unit, at this point Im thinking I don't want to ship out of the country... It might be to much of a hassle.
Old April 8th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Count me in Armando

How far are you from Huntington Beach?

When and how would you like the $100 deposit?

Thanks,
Mel

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)