DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Cody Designs Group Buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/41992-cody-designs-group-buy.html)

Armando Ferreira April 8th, 2005 08:35 PM

Re: Count me in Armando

<<<-- Originally posted by Mel Williams : How far are you from Huntington Beach?

When and how would you like the $100 deposit?

Thanks,
Mel -->>>

Crazy, your about 5-10 minutes away. The warehouse is in Fountain Valley off the 405 and Euclid. However you want to do the deposit.

Mel Williams April 8th, 2005 08:46 PM

Wow...any closer and you'd be in my house!

I work at Jamboree and the 405.

I pass Euclid on the way home from work.

What's your phone number at the warehouse? I'll drop by after work sometime. I usually get off work pretty late (7-8pm). If you're at the warehouse late one day, I'll drop off the deposit.

thanks,
Mel

Armando Ferreira April 8th, 2005 09:46 PM

Re: Wow...any closer and you'd be in my house!

<<<-- Originally posted by Mel Williams : I work at Jamboree and the 405.

I pass Euclid on the way home from work.

What's your phone number at the warehouse? I'll drop by after work sometime. I usually get off work pretty late (7-8pm). If you're at the warehouse late one day, I'll drop off the deposit.

thanks,
Mel -->>>

What's your E-mail Ill give you my CELL Phone.

David Yuen April 8th, 2005 09:57 PM

Unassembled price?

To attract more buyers, please see if there is an unassembled price for those who have expressed an interest in putting it together themselves. The price will be lower for them and more buyers lowers the overall cost for everyone.

Aaron Koolen April 9th, 2005 01:55 AM

Good idea David. Armando, I realise the resistance to overseas buyers, but if it's at all possible I'd like to know the cost of shipping etc

Cheers
Aaron

Matt Gettemeier April 10th, 2005 08:34 AM

Armando... have you got any solid numbers for us yet?

Cody... if you were to compare your design to an existing steady-cam, which would it be... and I'm also wondering how many years you've been a steady-cam operator (or been practicing)?

Armando Ferreira April 10th, 2005 11:33 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Matt Gettemeier : Armando... have you got any solid numbers for us yet?

Cody... if you were to compare your design to an existing steady-cam, which would it be... and I'm also wondering how many years you've been a steady-cam operator (or been practicing)? -->>>

The material guy that was supposed to call him back on Friday never did. He will call him tomorrow (Monday) so I will know by Tomorrow. Also, by the consumer putting it together will SAVE money. Puting it together is a WHOLE other project in its own, this will be good because will force people to buy CODY's book and should be fair for everyone. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow.

Armando Ferreira April 12th, 2005 12:51 AM

EXPENSIVE

Well, finally got the last quotation on the parts and its going to be WAY expensive for this project. Aside from being a very labor intensive project, this requires a lot of little parts that add to the cost. For example alan screws, you have to buy a box of 50pcs for $16.00 when you only need 4pcs. This adds to the cost of materials and begins to skyrocket in price little by little. Im going to take it to another manufacture, he is not really a personal friend but I have done business with him MANY times and want to get a second opinion. As of now the project is on STANDBY, it needs to be cost effective for this to go through or else we can all just go purchase a $2,000 unit. The whole purpose of this is to reduce cost by at least 50% so we can all benefit. Again, I will keep you guys posted as promised. IT will probably be at least 1 week for me to get another quote from this new manufacture. They might have more of these odd pieces laying around.

Thanks for your patience

Roger Moore April 12th, 2005 01:47 AM

No, we thank YOU for doing all that leg work for us.

Mikko Wilson April 12th, 2005 03:02 AM

A very interesting thread! - Definatly a good idea.

Also (not to discount the project, which I see as a good one) this is also working as a good demonstration as to why these things cost so damn much!
Most people scoff at the cost of, say, a Steadicam Ultra ($66,000) -"Oh i could get one built for under $10k I'm sure" - but you can see how quickly all these little things ad up!

- Mikko

Matt Gettemeier April 12th, 2005 07:21 AM

The reason I asked Cody which rig he would compare his design to is 'cause I used a Glidecam V16 for a few days and it was okay... but I wasn't compelled to buy one...

I got the impression that after a YEAR or so I may have been able to get what I wanted out of the V16... but it was hard to make a judgement. I suspect that a lot of guys on here think that just buying the steadycam will solve the problem, but it's just like a good mic. It 'aint sh*t unless you use it like a professional.

I'm HOPING that the Cody design is more forgiving then the V16 was...

Kevin Janisch April 15th, 2005 04:57 PM

I'm interested as well if the price is around $1200 and if I had it in my garage no later than August 1, 2005. If this goes through, I'll buy Cody's book as well even though he stated it wasn't necessary.

Kevin

Matt Gettemeier April 19th, 2005 05:56 AM

Armando... I know I haven't emailed you yet to swap numbers... but what's the latest scoop? I'll be in your neighborhood in 4 days...

... or is this fun little idea dead?

Armando Ferreira April 20th, 2005 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Gettemeier
Armando... I know I haven't emailed you yet to swap numbers... but what's the latest scoop? I'll be in your neighborhood in 4 days...

... or is this fun little idea dead?

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to take it to the new manufacture. I will take it this week. Shoot me an E-mail when you get a chance.

Kevin Janisch April 20th, 2005 12:02 PM

I'm going to have to bail out of the potential group buy. I have a friend who is going to build one for me!!! Good luck to you all.

Kevin