DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Cody Designs Group Buy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/41992-cody-designs-group-buy.html)

Armando Ferreira March 29th, 2005 12:57 AM

Cody Designs Group Buy?

My best friend is the owner of a machine shop with over millions of dollars of equipment. They have some of the most amazing equipment and technology there. From Laser cuters, plasma and even water jet cutters for super clean cuts. They also have mandrel bending machines and do a lot of stuff for NASA. He has built stuff for Toyota, Nissan, and lost of major car manufactures. Building this would be a piece of cake. Im thinking of getting the plans and having him make one for me. Anyhow, my question is are you guys interested in a groupbuy purchase that I can possibly arrange with him? I don't know the price yet, he needs to see the plans first but if its something around $1,000 shipped or maybe less, will you guys be interested? I think this would benefit all of us because that way he can give us the BEST possible price, regardless I am having him build mine. Also turn around time is fast, once started it should take about 2-3 weeks MAX! not per piece but for a mass production set of 50+ units. I think this is a good opportunity for all of us. Im just gauging interest?

Mel Williams March 29th, 2005 01:12 AM

excuse my ignorance

What are we talking about? What is a Cody Design?

Charles King March 29th, 2005 01:33 AM

He means Cody Deegan plans for building a stabilizer.

Armando Ferreira March 29th, 2005 01:36 AM

Re: excuse my ignorance

<<<-- Originally posted by Mel Williams : What are we talking about? What is a Cody Design? -->>>

http://www.codydeegan.com/

Sells blue prints to manufacture your own Camera Stabilizer. Although I personally haven't seen the prints myself, it is intended to be done by an intermidiete level "handyman". Although most parts can be done at home with some heavy duty machinery, a lot can be easily acomplished at a machine shop with precision equipment. So I am having my best friend build mine, but I figured if he is going to program everything on those machines, why not pop out a few extra say.... 20 pieces? This will make it more worthwhile for his time and of course make the cost for EVERYONE cheaper. Just want some input?

Dylan Couper March 29th, 2005 09:49 AM

I'd be interested below a certain price point. Let us know when you have a firm number.

Daniel Skubal March 29th, 2005 09:54 AM

Yeah, I'd be interested as well, granted it doesn't cost a LOT

Armando Ferreira March 29th, 2005 09:55 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : I'd be interested below a certain price point. Let us know when you have a firm number. -->>>

OK, yeah I need to get a basic number of how many people are interested, this will help in finalizing the number. As of now it is safe to say it will be under 1K SHIPPED. But the more people we have the cheaper it will be something like 20 people involved can lead the price to being $600.00 which is a HUGE saving for everyone. One thing and I want you to keep in mind is that the material used will be of the best! No cheap parts, and you will see as I start taking pictures when I actually start the project. SO don't be shy, and post if you are really interested.

Thanks!

Aaron Koolen March 29th, 2005 02:09 PM

I might be keen as well - I'd need shipping to New Zealand though.

Also, are you looking at the new armature that Cody has on for sale, or the old one that came in the initial book?

Aaron

Bryan McCullough March 29th, 2005 02:16 PM

I might be interested, particularly under $1000.

Charles King March 29th, 2005 03:26 PM

I have been thinking about something concerning this venture. If you are going to be doing this for everyone based on Cody's plans than you have just cut the legs from under cody.

By this I mean that now all those who are interested or will be interested will now get orders from you instead of buying Cody's book which will mean that it will be you making money from Cody's work. I'm not trying to start a fued or anything but am concern where this is going.

I know you mean well but it's someting to think about. Have you thought about that? My suggestion is to let Cody know what your plans are and see if he will be alright with this venture. This way, you'll have a clean conscience. Just a thought.

Just curious.

Aaron Koolen March 29th, 2005 04:13 PM

Good point Charles - why not simply donate the cost of the book from every order to Cody. So he gets his $50 or whatever it is from every order? Although, I have his book so I should get a discount :)

Aaron

Armando Ferreira March 29th, 2005 04:16 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : I have been thinking about something concerning this venture. If you are going to be doing this for everyone based on Cody's plans than you have just cut the legs from under cody.

By this I mean that now all those who are interested or will be interested will now get orders from you instead of buying Cody's book which will mean that it will be you making money from Cody's work. I'm not trying to start a fued or anything but am concern where this is going.

I know you mean well but it's someting to think about. Have you thought about that? My suggestion is to let Cody know what your plans are and see if he will be alright with this venture. This way, you'll have a clean conscience. Just a thought.

Just curious. -->>>

Totally understandable, I don't plan on selling this and making a living or some sort at all. Basically its a ONE TIME DEAL ONLY! The way I looked at it was this, if my buddy is cutting material making it. Wouldn't it be worthwhile to make a few extra pieces? Regardless if the plans are already made, their is still programming involved into the machines that will be laser cutting, robotic tig welding etc... So I figured why not cut the cost down, and help our community. I don't mean any harm to anyone, specially if they are doing a business out of it. But understand also, Cody's plan's are for sale and once you buy the book, you are entitled to do whatever you want with it. I look at it like a recipe book. Just because Martha Stewart sells cookbooks, doesn't mean someone can't open up a restaurant and sell the same style of food that is in her books to the public. She is selling the book and you are buying the rights to that book. Now unless Cody's designs are patented in a way that nobody can mass produce his designs but just be allowed to make 1 than I rest my case. Again, I don't want to step on people's toes and don't intend to market or sell these, regardless if this goes through or not I will be making my own with my friends manufacturing capabilities. Are these things even patented? I see so many Copies out there or similiar designs its even hard to see who is the original manufacture. I was VERY interested in the desing you tested Charles, it was a great review! At the same time 5K is a bit to much to spend for what I will be using it for or others too, and I am sure 80% of this message forum if not more will agree with me on this. Again, I don't mean any harm and just want to be helpful on the same note should I contact Martha Stewart for making the exact Filet Mignon that she has in her book to sell in a restaurant? Let me know your thoughts please?

Mel Williams March 29th, 2005 04:18 PM

Count me in too.

Does anyone have any pics?

Armando Ferreira March 29th, 2005 04:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Aaron Koolen : Good point Charles - why not simply donate the cost of the book from every order to Cody. So he gets his $50 or whatever it is from every order? Although, I have his book so I should get a discount :)

Aaron -->>>

I still don't see your point? I can see if I took Cody's design, and altered it 25% and called it my own and sold a book. If I buy the books, I am free to do what I want with it unless of course it holds patents and what not, but unless it doesn't its free game guys. And if most of you think its morally wrong than that's understandable and won't go through with the groupbuy, I figured that mostly all of us can do Cody's designs, but not all of us have access to precise machinery with ultimate quality in mind. Now if Cody is interested in selling these and having my source manufacture for him than I can give him the lead...

Chris Leong March 29th, 2005 04:30 PM

Hey Armando

If you have such an incredible resource, why don't you concentrate as well on the two or three other areas that so far have been bottled up and sold very expensively?

a) dovetail camera support and 15mm support rods for

b) follow focus unit (with the ring that goes on the DVX lens), and

c) matte box/filter holder for 4x5.65 with and without anamorphic adaptor, wide angle adaptor, tele adaptor? (i.e. a series of plates for the back in 72mm, 4,25"x4.75" rectangular, etc)

These would be smaller, easier projects for your machinist friends and would be incredible to bring to the market (i.e us guys) for a reasonable price instead of the monopoly prices that are now being demanded.

Cheers
Chris