Bought the Smooth Shooter with Glidecam 2000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 29th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #1
Major Player

Bought the Smooth Shooter with Glidecam 2000

Finally received the Smooth Shooter. Took the plunge, even without seing any footage. Took me about 35 minutes to set up glidecam 2000 with my Panasonig DVXa. After that, I tried doing shots only with the 2000 (without the smooth shooter) and it was killing my arm after 2 minutes!
After that, just set up the smooth shooter (very easy) and connected with the Glidecam: PERFECT

I was flying with lots of control in only 10 minutes of practice (never used a stabilizer before!) The Arm is very good, it has two springs inside it. Very smooth! ANd very usable! I can see I can go for hours shooting with this thing! Amazing!
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Care to post a demo of the product similiar to what I did with the steadicam flyer? I think everyone will appreciate it since glidecam does not have a demo yet. It will be nice of you.
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Yes, please, please, please post some footage!

I'm right on the fence for this product and would love to see some footage!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

BTW,

Are you just using the camera's LCD screen or do you have another screen on the rig?

One of my concerns is that only using the camera's LCD will really limit you and some of the moves you're able to make.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Focusing

I still guess.. how do you focus when using small DV cameras with stabilizers like this? Do you have to have AF turned on, or is there somewhere in th package some tool for focusing?
Martin Polach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Anyway, I too do hope to see some footage from Smooth Shooter!
Martin Polach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Major Player

Hello Sergio,

I get the impression from your post that you are using both springs in the Glidecam Smooth Shooter Support Arm with your DVX100a on the Glidecam 2000 Pro. Given this setup, it is likely you will get even better results by removing one of the springs from the arm. Obviously, you'll then need to readjust the remaining spring to take the full load of the 2000 Pro. I strongly encourage you to experiment with this!

Details on the proper way to do this, and plenty of photographs can be found in the manual that came with your Smooth Shooter.

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Well. I'd love to post a demo- But how do I upload?
I'll only be doing some shooting on friday, so, i believe i can only post videos by saturday/sunday...

The footage I have is from inside my apartment, with sleeping girlfriend and all (not very nice!)

Casey, It seems to work fine with both springs... But I haven't really done any demanding shots... I've read trough the manual and did see how to remove the springs.. Let's see how the picture looks like with both, than with one- thanks for the info!

Anything you guys want me to test in particular? ATTENTION! I'M A STEADICAM NEWBIE! (but shooting handheld/trypod and dolly for more than 6 years!)
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #9
Major Player

Do some test of the arm in action. Lets see how it looks in action from the side line. By that i mean, let someone film you while operating it. ( something similiar to mine clip with the flyer). Then add a clip of it from the stabilizer point of view.

In oder upload it you have to have a server to put it up on for others to see. It all depends on the size. If you can't find a server than let me know than I can put it up on my server.
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Charles King : Do some test of the arm in action. Lets see how it looks in action from the side line. By that i mean, let someone film you while operating it. ( something similiar to mine clip with the flyer). Then add a clip of it from the stabilizer point of view.

In oder upload it you have to have a server to put it up on for others to see. It all depends on the size. If you can't find a server than let me know than I can put it up on my server. -->>>

Ok- don't know about someone filming me, but I can do these tests- like walking up the stairs and following a "talent"...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)