Training in UK at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old September 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Training in UK

I'd love to do some training with my Glidecam, which I'm upgrading to the X-10.

I've read Paul Mailith's report on training in OZland but it's just a bit too far to go from UK!

Does anyone know of any training available in UK?

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Trustee

Steadicam workshop in UK.

Hi Peter.

I just found this steadicam course in the UK.
National Film and Television School

If you do it then please post on here how it went, i'm probably getting a pilot next year so want to do some proper training.
Good luck.

Paul.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I'm afraid I can't run to the price they are charging, although I appreciate it is geared towards professional users. I was thinking of a one day familiarisation course for us amaetures. If I find anywhere, I'll let you know.

Peter
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Try this, bottom of the page.

CALUMET

Paul.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Paul.

I'm still waiting for my X-10 upgrade to arrive, so I might give them a call and see if their course is suitable for Glidecam.

Will let you know.

Peter
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Peter

Check here:

Steadicam Workshops

They do a variety of steadicam workshops from a 1 or 2 day pilot course, to more expanded for bigger devices.

Im going on the November one. Ill let you know how it goes.
Niall Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Niall,

I'm going to the IOV show on Wednesday so I'll call in at Calumet and have a word regarding my set up, as the courses appear to be for Steadicam products.

I would have thought that the basics are similiar to Glidecam, so might give it a go.

Peter
Old November 14th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Peter

Have recently just finished the silver course for Steadicam at BBC Wood Norton, as taught by Robin Thwaites.

I found it to be extremely rewarding, very interesting, and extremely tiring (im aching massively at work right now)

I cannot recommend this course enough. Also you get to play with the big rigs, and learn all the basics. Even I was surprised in the difference in the confidence I had operating when you compared Day 1 to Day 3.

Even got some nice video and pictures from the course.

The biggest thing you learn from the entire course....how truly skilled the big boys who do this for a living are. And the nuances and the attention to detail that is required.
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Glad you had a good time Niall, wish I could do one but it was too expensive (I know, you get what you pay for)

I had a word with Calumet at the IOV show, who were going to do a Steadicam workshop in Manchester but was told that it was specific for Steadicam, not Glidecam. I could have used their equipment but I felt it better to use my own, so I could get used to it.

Peter
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

The skills are the important element and remain the same, the kit is just kit and you can practise the differences easilly yourself. I suspect it'll will be more rigging detail than the operating.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
I suspect it'll will be more rigging detail than the operating.
Having done Robin's course, it's mindbogglingly complete. Lots of detail on planning shots, sorting out the mechanics of stuff - for example, switching from follow to over shoulder when faced with a 90 degree turn through a limited width door... Dealing with high mode (like over people's heads - giraffe style), up and down steps (don't remind me - egad).

The only little comment I could make about his course is that it is focused on big rigs, but everything applies to a Pilot. Just wish I could have stuck to a Pilot or Flyer as yes - those big rigs are killers if you're a tad out of shape and over 40.

But Robin's course (and others like it) are worth every penny. Every single last cent you sweated blood and tears for. Nothing like it.

Okay. Really embarassing stuff coming up: my take in one exercise on the afternoon of Day 2 -

http://www.mdma.tv/steadicam/matts_take.mp4
Old November 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #12
Inner Circle

You do need to be reasonably fit, but quite a few A list operators are over 40.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:55 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Having done Robin's course, it's mindbogglingly complete. Lots of detail on planning shots, sorting out the mechanics of stuff - for example, switching from follow to over shoulder when faced with a 90 degree turn through a limited width door... Dealing with high mode (like over people's heads - giraffe style), up and down steps (don't remind me - egad).

The only little comment I could make about his course is that it is focused on big rigs, but everything applies to a Pilot. Just wish I could have stuck to a Pilot or Flyer as yes - those big rigs are killers if you're a tad out of shape and over 40.

But Robin's course (and others like it) are worth every penny. Every single last cent you sweated blood and tears for. Nothing like it.

Okay. Really embarassing stuff coming up: my take in one exercise on the afternoon of Day 2 -

http://www.mdma.tv/steadicam/matts_take.mp4
I agree with pretty much everything you said Matt.

The course was great, and yes Im out of shape but not over 40 yet..working on that part...im still aching like a really achey thing, 2 days later.

We did our stuff inside due to rain. Narrow corridors, doorways...dont worry, My take was similar to yours...mind was buzzing.

Oh and as proof of out of shapedness: i present exhibit A : http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7902639_n.jpg

I look like a sack tied in the middle ;)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM   #14
Trustee

I would recommend the Tiffen Steadicam courses. They are run from a non manufacturer specific viewpoint, although you will be using Steadicam rigs. The instruction is absolutely top notch. Niall is absolutely right, Robin Thwaites instruction is superb.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)