Newbie needs Stabilizer help! - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old May 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM   #76
Wrangler

Leigh:

Just to clarify, you don't need to go light with your gimbal handle (non-post) hand--that can be a firm grip. Definitely light with the post hand is the way to go, though!
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM   #77
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Leigh:

Just to clarify, you don't need to go light with your gimbal handle (non-post) hand--that can be a firm grip. Definitely light with the post hand is the way to go, though!
Hi Charles Papert,

Thanks for clarification

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:20 PM   #78
Wrangler

Took a look at your latest video--I do agree, Leigh, you need to make these files smaller! Perhaps just some representative footage rather than something of that length.

Your basic operation has come up by leaps and bounds, it's looking very good. There is an odd section in the middle where you are rotating around some shrubs in between the buildings; your horizon went all screwy. I think it would be a good plan for you to start working in compound moves, i.e. be tilted up or down for sections of the shot, make diagonal pans etc. as this gets a lot harder to maintain horizon. Also, walking forwards is easy--do your entire course walking backwards (remember as I said, most Steadicam shots are pulls, not pushes). And make those holds more deliberate, hold them longer.

A subtlety of taking corners: make your pivot before the corner, meaning you start your pan earlier, keeping the corner of the building in the frame rather than losing it. This feels much more natural and gives a better sense of space. Watch just about any Steadicam shot in a movie, you'll see this being done every time.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:40 AM   #79
Trustee

Hi Charles Papert,

Thank you for your time to watching my video and helping me.

I think that I made two mistakes in that video.

1. I have not walked all the route first before I shot. So I have no idea about what to shoot and just shot what I saw.

2 I only trained myself about walk forward and just recent week start to train myself walk backward. So I have no experience about shooting something in circle.

It seems that so many things to learn and so little time and slow progress achived.

I will make a short video next time. 8 )

Regards
Leigh
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:39 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Wanstead
Hi ed,

Thank you for asking.

I manufacture stablizer myself and hope to release it soon.

Regards
Leigh
any photos of your rig?

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:15 PM   #81
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Liew
any photos of your rig?

ed
Hi ed,

Thank you for asking.

I am in the process of patent application of my stablizer, so I am sorry that I can't show you the picture of my rig.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:07 AM   #82
Major Player

Ed,
Here are some pics of the fixed gimbal. Note that there is no space anymore between the post and the inner gimbal sleeve. It fits nice and snug now and has seemed to solve my balancing problems. Basically, it looks like John just fitted a new sleeve into the gimbal. I don't know if that's something you can do on your end. Alignment when press fitting the sleeve is very critical.

http://www.jewsfortruth.org/test-video/newgimbal-1.jpg
http://www.jewsfortruth.org/test-video/newgimbal-2.jpg
http://www.jewsfortruth.org/test-video/newgimbal-3.jpg
http://www.jewsfortruth.org/test-video/newgimbal-4.jpg

Hey Leigh,
Your video looks really good. I did some some bounce from footsteps, but far less than I've been getting. It was most noticable when you were next to the chain link fence. Given the amount of control you are exhibiting, I sense that the lack of footsteps is as much a result of your technique and skill as equipment. I still only have about 10 hours on my rig, so I have a long way to go, but hopefully things will improve. Then again, maybe your arm is the difference. Any idea when you might be able to share it with us?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 11:12 AM   #83
New Boot

Matthew,

I'm glad that everything has worked out for you and thanks for posting all the pics!

Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes.
--Henry David Thoreau
K. Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM   #84
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Wilson
Hey Leigh,
Your video looks really good. I did some some bounce from footsteps, but far less than I've been getting. It was most noticable when you were next to the chain link fence. Given the amount of control you are exhibiting, I sense that the lack of footsteps is as much a result of your technique and skill as equipment. I still only have about 10 hours on my rig, so I have a long way to go, but hopefully things will improve. Then again, maybe your arm is the difference. Any idea when you might be able to share it with us?
Hi Matthew,

What shoes were you wearing while you shot your video? I think that a good pair of shoes is very important. At least it will make you feel good. I wear Adidas sports shoes and make me feel happy. ;-) The shoes price around NZ$300 which equals to US$218.07.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM   #85
Major Player

Good point Leigh, i will try some different shoes and see if that makes any difference.

thanks,
Matt
Old May 4th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #86
Major Player

hi matthew,
look pretty good. just send the gimbal unit back to john. hoping for the best this time.

hi leigh,
"I wear Adidas sports shoes and make me feel happy. ;-) The shoes price around NZ$300 which equals to US$218.07.
"
were you influence by the adidas commercial too? i was :o)

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:14 AM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Liew
hi leigh,
were you influence by the adidas commercial too? i was :o)

ed
Hi ed,

The answer is yes. I watched that video on the net and the next day I went out to get the adidas shoes. That is my first shoes I spent so much money on. I usually buy NZ$30 shoes which is around US$20.

Regards
Leigh
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #88
Major Player

Leigh,

I've been off this forum for so long (NAB and kitchen remodeling) that when I returned I found you have actually started writing more than just "Thanks". I'm very glad to see that happen.

I would love to see some more of your video but 20 megs is all I will download at a time. Can you drop down the size a bit?

$218 shoes. Wow! If they could guarantee you would shoot smoother video then maybe...

Less than two years and counting before we make it to NZ. Maybe we can get together somehow. That would be great.

Our new website is in the process of getting built. I have to get with it and send the new sled to the designer and photog.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:32 AM   #89
Major Player

New design Terry. Any pics?
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #90
Wrangler

In a conversation with Steadicam guru Larry McConkey (if you are at all into Steadicam, you will likely know where he fits into things, which is to say at the very top), I started discussing footwear. He told me he was fond of Mephisto sneakers. A few months later I picked up a pair (upwards of $250). They were beautifully made, but I found them very uncomfortable for operating, and eventually gave them away. I've been using $60 Nikes for about a year and they are perfectly fine. Most recently I started using orthotics, which have been really good for me. Remember that my usual payload with a Steadicam is 60-70 lbs, and it's not unusual for me to end up operating every day when I'm on a feature!

Bottom line: I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying the most expensive footwear you can find, but obviously it has to be comfortable and provide good support.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)