best body unit for the money at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:43 AM   #1
Tourist

best body unit for the money

Hi all. If you had around $3,000 to spend for a stabilization unit with a vest, shooting with XL1s, what would you buy? I don't have time to make one. What should I avoid? Would spending $4,000 make a huge difference?
Michael Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Michael,

If you got a good stablizer, you still need to practise a lot.

Don't believe that any stablizer better than handheld. Crapy stablizer is no good. You will regret that money just wasted if you buy a bad one.

There are two hints to consider.

1. First experience yourself, try it and get a feel to see how shaking you got from the device.

2. If there is no way to experience the device, looking for the best demo video shot by the device. Usually the manufacture will put best demo video on their website to showcase the performance. And compare all the demo videos you found, you will see the difference. My understanding is everyone will say they are the best one for your money. 8 ) You must trust your own eyes. Full screen 720x480 29.97fps demo video will usually tell the story. The smaller the screen i.e. 320x240 15fps, the low quality of the demo video will usually hide the device shakeness.

Regards
Leigh
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:28 AM   #3
Major Player

(In my oppinon) the Absoloute Best rig for an XL1 is the Steadicam Flyer.
The catch is that it costs $6000 but it's well worth it.

The general advice is to buy the best rig you can possibly afford if you are really serious about it.

Read aroudn this and other forums and read reports of what peopel ahve said. for example Magiqam has just got a bit of bad press on another thread on this forum..
Generally the cheaper you buy, and the more you are apparently getting for your less mony, the lower the overall quality of the unit.

- Mikko

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)