DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam vs. Varizoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/43591-glidecam-vs-varizoom.html)

Martin Polach April 26th, 2005 05:30 AM

Glidecam vs. Varizoom

Hi,

I am choosing between two stabilization systems, the choice is Glidecam 4000 Pro + Smooth Shooter + 4" Monitor for 2600 USD or I just found Varizoom Flowcam GT (incl. 5" monitor) for 3000 USD.

What are your experiences on using these systems. I was almost sure of Glidecam, but now I found that this Varizoom is for cameras to 16 pounds, so I could use it not just with PD170, but also with DSR-390L and other larger cameras - that was the thing why I doubted Glidecam solution.

Any comments on an of these stabilisation systems? Thanks!

Martin Polach April 26th, 2005 05:32 AM

Or, if you have any other solution from other companies which you think are worth the buy, I would be grateful for them too. I don't want to go higher than 3000 USD for complete system w/ batteries and monitor.

Charles Papert April 26th, 2005 09:57 AM

I like the Smooth Shooter as an arm, nice piece of gear for the money. However I think I might give the Flowcam the nod for the sled design.

Another rig you might look at is the Magiqcam. (www.magiqcam.com)

Martin Polach April 26th, 2005 11:35 AM

Charles,

I'm kinda confused about MagiqCam website, but both of their products is only for cameras weighting less than 5 pounds?

Well I am looking for a system taht supports 4-8 pounds, and it would be a big plus if the same rig would work for big DVCAM cams, like the mentioned DSR-390 ot the new ones DSR-400 and DSR-450. Thats why I got stuck on that FlowCam.

Leigh Wanstead April 26th, 2005 03:04 PM

Hi Martin Polach,

I am interested to know what your criteria is to select a stablizer? Just read seller's website for product specification?

TIA
Leigh

Charles Papert April 26th, 2005 09:41 PM

Hmm, there seems to be a typo on the Magiqcam site--it is listing the same weight capability for both setups, but the IIa has a signficantly higher weight rating being a dual arm. Perhaps an owner can chime in with that spec.

K. Clark April 26th, 2005 09:57 PM

Hi Martin,

I have researched quite a few different rigs for my needs recently and all I can say is that each one in the under 3k category has it's own set of strong points and weaknesses. I would defer to Charles P. for his experience and insight as to specific points - you can't buy that kind of knowledge.

As for Magiqcam, their web site is a self proclaimed mess. Unfortunately they don’t know how to access their site in order to change text and update things. The Magiqcam IIa arm supports 4-15 lbs (not 4-5). You can read more about the rig on their eBay listing.

I have recently purchased this stabilizer to fly an XL2. I’ll be adding an A/B mount, Hytron 50, a Nebtek NEB 70 LI monitor and a Bogen 3419 micro positioning plate to the top stage. I have a few other things in mind but that’s the core of the rig which will come in just under 3k.

If you need further info on the Magiqcam you can call John Gardner at the number on their website. They are good people and are happy to answer all your questions.

Simon Wyndham April 28th, 2005 03:30 AM

The Magiqcam looks very interesting. Although there are still a few issues that I have not been able to get definitive answers to. For example the new arm adjustment. Does this actually stop the camera trying to pull away from the operator etc? I know the design is constantly improved, so I would really like to hear from someone who has experience of other more expensive models by comparison.

I know full well that I can't expect it to match a real steadicam. However because my camera is on the weighty side I need to know that the system distributes all the weight correctly, through the vest, and with regards to the camera on the arm so that I don't need to be Hercules to operate it for more than 5 mins..

Charles Papert April 28th, 2005 08:50 AM

Simon:

The side-to-side adjustment on the current Magiqcam will help with the pulling-away issue, but the real solution to this issue is having two axes of adjustment (side to side and front to back). I don't know of any sub-$3K rig that has both.

Simon Wyndham April 28th, 2005 09:07 AM

I wonder if they'll do a custom adjustment for a bit more. Given the affordable price of the Magiqcam I would be prepared to pay a little bit more if it meant a two axis adjustement. I'm not sure why they couldn't offer it as a more expensive option if people wanted it..

Leigh Wanstead April 28th, 2005 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Simon:

The side-to-side adjustment on the current Magiqcam will help with the pulling-away issue, but the real solution to this issue is having two axes of adjustment (side to side and front to back). I don't know of any sub-$3K rig that has both.

Hi CP,

I don't understand two axes of adjustment (side to side and front to back). What is that for? What is the theory behind that?
Do you have any pictures to show it?

By the way, do you know if back mount vest design patent or not?

TIA

Regards
Leigh