Hollywood Lite Pro vs. the Magiqcam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old June 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Hollywood Lite Pro vs. the Magiqcam

I've been using a rental Hollywood Lite with a dual articulated arm for the past few weeks. I really like this rig but I'm thinking of buying. I'm very new to stabilizers having moved from camera assisting commercials shot on film. I've seen previous posts concerning some problems with the Magiqcam, ie.. the gimbal, delivery, etc.. The price combined with the dual articulated arm makes it very attractive. Just wanted to know if these things had been sorted out. Thanks, Mark

Addition: I guess I'd like some feedback from Magiqcam owners if possible. Is the rig mechanically working well and are you guys happy with your purchase. I got a bit scared off by all the problems and delivery delays recounted in previous posts. Just being wary. Thanks again. M

Last edited by Mark Holtermann; June 1st, 2005 at 05:42 PM.
Mark Holtermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 12:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Howdy Mark. I have the Hollywood Lite GTX model (single stage) and have had great results with a little bit of extra effort mostly because of pin pivot joints instead of bearings. Of course they released the dual stage model shortly after I bought mine. If I were you, I would get the new Steadicam Flyer. There are plenty of posts to read about it. I don't know much at all about the Magiqcam rig.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #3
Major Player

Just a bit of what I have heard and seen concerning the Magiqcam. I put my two cents in because John doesn't make comments on this forum and therefore isn't defending his product.

I heard that the guy who had all the problems is the type that has all the problems. I was told that he was sent three different gimballs and to have them all go bad? He's the only one I know who has had the gimball bolt pull out and I believe this is not a structural flaw. If it was, others would have had the same problem.

John (Magiqcam) has solved the gimbal linearity problem with the new yoke which has been machined to very high specs. There are Magiqcams all over the world and I'ld hate to have his good product dragged down by one very vocal guy.

If I didn't make my own steadycam (Indicam) systems I'ld buy a Magiqcam.

Regarding delivery time...If it was mass produced in China it would delivered sooner but John hand-crafts his stabilizer systems.

I like the Hollywood Lite ProLite system as well but it costs more than the Magiqcam I believe.

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 03:19 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks to James and Terry for your replies.
James, I looked at the Steadicam Flyer and was drooling. It looks like an amazingly built rig. Super design and finish. It's almost triple the Magiqcam in price, but looks well worth it. Are you going to get one? I might have to start working harder!
Terry, I was a little nervous concerning the Magiqcam, mainly due to 'that guys' constant complaining. I admit he seems to be the only one with endless problems. He just scared me a bit as I'm new to these forums and he was in a frenzy when I tuned in. Thanks for the advice.
Regards, Mark
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Mark,

I just reviewed some footage I took with the Flyer at NAB this year. I looks very good but not "four and some change" times better than my system. I like it though. You can't go wrong mechanically buying the best but you should try to get the very most for you money. The Flyer is the best so you need to ask yourself "Am I going to use it enough to pay for it and then some?" If not, a less fancy system will work very well for you.

For an example, I can send you a clip (via www.dropload.com) of my system at NAB as I was looking for Charles P. I'll let you decide as to it's smoothness. I'm not even a professional steadycam operator but just an inventor/manufacturer.

If you would like to see the clip I'll try to send it via email

Tery

www.indicam.com
Old June 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Terry,

Will you share your video on your web server?

TIA

Regards
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson
Mark,

For an example, I can send you a clip (via www.dropload.com) of my system at NAB as I was looking for Charles P. I'll let you decide as to it's smoothness. I'm not even a professional steadycam operator but just an inventor/manufacturer.

If you would like to see the clip I'll try to send it via email

Tery
Leigh Wanstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Leigh,

I don't have as much control over the uploads etc. to my web server so it's harder for me to do. I have to upload and then leave a notification of my file and what to do with it. I would like it if I could have the web server here, at my office, under my control.

Tery

www.indicam.com
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #8
Major Player

hi,
these is "that guy". please do call me ed, thank you.

terry, if you know the whole issue then you would not make judgement so blindly. if john were to send one good working unit, everyone would be happy, end of the story. my gimbal is sitting some where in john workshop and it have been almost a month now. the only mail i received from him is asking me to be patient but for how long? what would you be doing if you spend near to eight thousand dollar of my currency and not getting what was promised. further more, i'm not in the state, so i don't get all the previlege of instant service which most other owner have.

mark, as for the product, it look good. i can't really comment on it performance as i have not really fly it. but for the price, its a good start. at the end you get what you pay for.

good luck.

ed
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here is some demo footage of my GTX rig. Just click on the topic link at the top right of the page link below to see the whole thread.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....45&postcount=2
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #10
Tourist

Hello Everyone, thanks again for the replies.

Terry, looking forward to your footage at NAB as well as a bit of dialogue.

Ed, thanks for the input. Have you got your Magiqcam working yet? If not, what's the issue? I live in Sydney, Australia and was a bit worried about customer service due to a non U.S. address. Has John rectified your problems? The gimbal? Let me know what you think.

James, very nice demo. I've been using a Hollywood GTX as wel,l and it does such a great job. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and paying the extra for a system that I know works well. Your GTX has a single arm, I think you mentioned that before. What do you think are the pros and cons for single versus dual arms?

Also, if anyone has a Magiqcam, and is using it (working it), I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Later,
Mark
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Dual Arm

A dual arm is going to absorb more shock, provide a few more inches of vertical rise and fall as well as horizontal reach.
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #12
Major Player

hi mark,
the gimbal unit is still with john. no words from him yet. i was having a few problem with the gimbal, do hope that it will be solve once and for all this time round. anyone would have think i must have really work the rig as i seems to be the only person having problem. the truth is, i seems to be receiving only bad parts.

as terry have mention, ..."He's the only one I know who has had the gimball bolt pull out and I believe this is not a structural flaw. If it was, others would have had the same problem." but what he did not know is, the gimbal bolt thread was already loose when it was send to me and john know about it as he tried to cover it up with epoxy. if you check some of my earlier post, you will find links to photos of all the problem i have with the gimbal, and i mean all three which was send. also, terry seens you are such a good soul, maybe you can do these "bad guy" a favour and ask john when he intend to send back my gimbal. would appreciate the help. mark, sorry to have hijack your thread for my personal problem.

mark, if you do search, i think you will find some happy magiqcam owner from australia. maybe they can help you out on these one. my opinion would be bias in these case. as the guru here would advice, go for the best you can afford or else, just rent a unit.

Last edited by Ed Liew; June 12th, 2005 at 02:19 PM. Reason: posted twice, sorry
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #13
Major Player

hi mark,
the gimbal unit is still with john. no words from him yet. i was having a few problem with the gimbal, do hope that it will be solve once and for all this time round. anyone would have think i must have really work the rig as i seems to be the only person having problem. the truth is, i seems to be receiving only bad parts.

as terry have mention, ..."He's the only one I know who has had the gimball bolt pull out and I believe this is not a structural flaw. If it was, others would have had the same problem." but what he did not know is, the gimbal bolt thread was already loose when it was send to me and john know about it as he tried to cover it up with epoxy. if you check some of my earlier post, you will find links to photos of all the problem i have with the gimbal, and i mean all three which was send. also, terry seens you are such a good soul, maybe you can do these "bad guy" a favour and ask john when he intend to send back my gimbal. would appreciate the help.

one conclusion i can come to with my problems is, the rig was not design for my 6kg camera setup. other owner seem to be flying their rig with lighter camera such as canon xl1 and jvc dv5000. if you notice in the magiqcam listing on ebay, the load weight is changing constantly. when i place my order, it was listed as 16lbs, then it went up to 18lbs and now its down to 15lbs. mark, sorry to have hijack your thread on my personal problem.

mark, if you do search, i think you will find some happy magiqcam owner from australia. maybe they can help you out on these one. my opinion would be bias in these case. as the guru here would advice, go for the best you can afford or else, just rent a unit.
Old June 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #14
Major Player

I saw John's new system at NAB for heavier cameras . It seems to be well made and sturdy. It is made for cameras larger than 100a, 2100 etc. Maybe Ed should be getting one of these.

Tery

www.indicam.com
Old July 21st, 2005, 04:58 AM   #15
New Boot

Hi all, we are Magiqcam IIa users and from Australia, we had a delay in receiving our rig and did get a little nervous, but when it arrived, fantastic.

We have shot large amounts of footage using it, especially weddings where we (err I) run around the new couple either on a beach or park while they embrace.

Poor(er) points looks like they are being address in the IIp, most of our difficulties arrise from a XL1 and a lead acid battery, pulling nearly 15Kg all up.
small problems when we started, but with some mods the unit runs fantastic. we now have close to 200 working hours with the rig and that a lot of time using one, nothing to report, unit still performs as new.

We have no complaints, as a matter we are looking to be Australian Distributors of Magiqcam, can't do much more than that.

If anyone needs advice/assistance or just re-assurance just give us a call.

Pure Emotion
Australia
www.PureEmotion.com.au
Trevor Crump is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)