Steadicam Jr and GL2 (XM2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadicam Jr and GL2 (XM2)

Hi all - just purchased a Steadicam Jr second hand. Want to us it with my XM2 (GL2) with the long-life BP 941 on the back.

Any hints/tips on settings?
Paul Grove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Paul,

Thinking of this combo myself, how much and where for the Steadicam if you don't mind me asking? That new Merlin's a tad pricey at the minute isn't it?!
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ha Ha, he probably outbid me on ebay for the "ferret shelter" steadicam.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I was able to use a big battery and anamorphic adapter pretty successfully with the JR. The battery and adapter balance each other out pretty well. I'd suggest adding a wide angle lens. Deep focus wide shots are best with the Steadicam. Also, I added a Manfrotto 394 quick release plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=5563&is=REG

It helps give you more vertical height, which in my situation made it much more stable. Without the quick release assembly I had to unscrew the collar around the gimble almost all the way out.

The plate also gives you a bubble level (yes!) and way more flexibility to adjust the camera from side to side because the mounting screw is able to shift back forth in its groove. Without the plate, I had to max out the side to side adjustments on the JR.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually since my camera is too light, I've had to add the larger battery and wide angle lense. Then I've got a Bogen quick release plate ( like yours a lot, but I've already got another type). Because I have a similar problem with side to side weight, I've added some car tire (tape on) weights to the bottom of the stage. They don't look so great, but are functional and only visible from the bottom.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys - yes it was a purchase of ebay!

Just to confirm - are you suggesting that I should put on the WD-58H to counteract the big battery?

Paul.
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The WD-58 is great. It would way about the same as the anamorphic I was using. I had a GL1 by the way. I believe the GL2 is a little lighter and longer.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #8
New Boot

So have you gotten the rig to ballance properly? I am curious what settings you used. I have a Jr. I am trying to use with a GL2 and BP-945. I think I have it balanced, then it wanders a bit. Requires continuous fine tuning of the sled. Which, of course, means it isn't balanced at all.

SO, I am looking to see what other people are using settings-wise. Mine was also an eBay purchase, and as a result does not have the video with it.
Otto Bartsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Otto ... I got mine balanced with the battery and without the w/angle lens by putting in the middle hole right at the the back. Like you I find it does require a fair bit of constant tweaking - anyone else found this?

It's much easier to use the plastic stand straight off as well!

Unfortunately I've hit a problem ... the plastic gromit that you screw in the hole in front of the main locking hole (i.e. to stop the camera rotating left to right), has snapped off, blocking the hole pretty damn well! Obviously, if the camera can move to left or right this will effect the balance - anyone got any suggestions?

Paul.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #10
Wrangler

Tiffen sells a spare parts kit for something like $35, which will include replacement locator pins (the part you snapped off), so you can just drill out the remains of the old one.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)