Steadicam Pilot and Canon XL2 Configuration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Steadicam Pilot and Canon XL2 Configuration

I just bought a Steadicam Pilot AA and was wondering what configurations others have used to balance the Canon XL2. Is it possible to keep the viewfinder (of the XL2) and mic attached or is that too much weight? Anyone have pictures of the positioning of the camera, batteries, and sled viewfinder? Do you use any weights on the bottom of the sled?

Also why isn't it possible to tighten the gimbal movements? It would be a lot easier than having to learn to balance your left arm and hand movements.
Christian Fannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 05:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Christian-

Welcome to the forum, and to the exciting world of stabilizers! If you have not done so already, you really need to read through the Steadicam Pilot - Getting Started Q & A which contains more useful information than you're likely to find in a single location.

I would also recommend getting Jerry Holway & Laurie Hayball's definitive book The Steadicam Operator's Handbook which is the best training you'll ever get outside of attending a Steadicam workshop. Speaking of which, this is a very highly recommended thing to do as well, and sadly what I have not yet been able to do. But it is definitely on my "to-do" list, and the sooner the better!

These things will shed much light on the subject and will help you to understand why locking off the gimbal would completely defeat the purpose of using a Steadicam.

There are no shortcuts with these things. An analogy would be learning to play a guitar. Having a great guitar does not make you a great musician, but it does give you opportunity to best develop the necessary skills. But it is only by learning the rudiments, and practicing and always looking to improve that the mastery can happen.

Best of luck to you!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Fannin View Post
Is it possible to keep the viewfinder (of the XL2) and mic attached or is that too much weight?
For $40, this scale is a good investment:
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/sto...uctId=10001609

Quote:
Do you use any weights on the bottom of the sled?
I fly my Pilot with 8 pounds of weight on top, and 2 pounds on the bottom. See post #142 of the Q & A thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabiliz...started-q.html

Quote:
Also why isn't it possible to tighten the gimbal movements? It would be a lot easier than having to learn to balance your left arm and hand movements.
Adding any friction to the gimbal will defeat the purpose of isolating the sled from your body. If at all possible, take the 2-day workshop:
The Steadicam Workshop Solution authorized by Tiffen instructed by Peter Abraham
Dave Gish is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)