Steady with a Flip HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old October 17th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steady with a Flip HD?

Remember the old steadicam JR?

I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive lightweight solution to fly a Flip HD (Flip Video Camcorder - Digital Camcorder | Flip Video) . I've been using my flip to pick up some B cam / POV shots and it's working out quite well.

Any suggestions.
Old October 17th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

It's on its way--can't tell you any more than that (including the release date).
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Steadicam Micro??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Abrams View Post
Remember the old steadicam JR?

I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive lightweight solution to fly a Flip HD (Flip Video Camcorder - Digital Camcorder | Flip Video) . I've been using my flip to pick up some B cam / POV shots and it's working out quite well.

Any suggestions.
Marion, what model are you using? I have the UltraHD (AKA the RED 0.001), and while I don't have any walking shots on-line, the walking shots I have taken are very, very stable (running would be a different matter, haven't tried that yet).

It's a great little cam, and I now use it as my backup camera, that's how good it is. I find that it's very stable hand held even though it's as light as a feather (which is its greatest disadvantage hand held), but if you regularly hold or fly cams, it's a snap to hold it steady.

At last Thursday's SAW VI Red Carpet event, Tobin Bell was the last to show up (he had been doing studio press for Lions Gate), so he had to rush into 3 different theater screenings to introduce the film and did not get a chance to really walk the red carpet.

I put my main event cam back in the Land Rover, and went upstairs to attend the screening, and just as I hit the main floor, he called my wife and said he would come out and give her an exclusive interview, so rather than go back down to the parking garage, unpack the gear and run back, I used the Flip for the interview. That interview is on-line here. I think it's pretty stable for a four minute continuous shot with a subject moving around.

The Flip does good sound, but not in a real noisy environment. Since the AFI red carpet (LOUD) was going on at the other side of the foyer when Tobin came out, I used double system sound to get a clean track. First time I tried that with the Flip, but it worked!

More Flip hand-held is here, but first you have to guess what footage is from the Flip :)
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

That must have been quite a site. A full audio rig and the DP with a Flip HD!
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
It's on its way--can't tell you any more than that (including the release date).
oh chas, you're such a tease!

hahaha

man, it would be friggin cool to steadi my iPhone...
Trevor Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Abrams View Post
That must have been quite a site. A full audio rig and the DP with a Flip HD!
Marion, actually it was just 1/16 of a full audio rig (the Sony PCM-D50 recorder we use for backup sound connected to the SD 302).

All I ever need to shoot are silver halides, some gelatin, a shoe box, and a pin (but the Flip was much easier and faster :) Oh yeah, and coffee.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Can someone explain this Flip thing to me? I keep seeing commercials during Sharks games, and the video on the commercials looks awful...
Chris McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Das Flip

Chris, the cam I have is the Flip UltraHD, it shoots a full frame 16:9 720P/30 image in high quality MP4 format with excellent 2 channel sound. The mics are a bit too sensitive, so if there is a lot of loud ambient noise, you have to get up close to the subject or use double system sound. But the image is really, really good if you have a good key. It works in no light situations as well, but the grain really starts to show under those conditions.

This is just the first salvo in high quality micro HD cams, and better ones are sure to follow. I think its a great little tool that frees us to be more creative with a minimum of hassles.

Last week I tacked the Flip onto a Noga arm attached to a F35 on my Steadicam Pro II rig and shot two points of view at the same time (just done as a test, but I think they are going to use the footage). The Flip was light enough to make re-balancing my rig easy. I framed the Flip to the F35 frame, and used the Flip TFT LCD as a confidence check.

My ex-Arri machine shop guy is making me a precision adjustable bracket to hold two Flips allowing me to shoot 3D. That's what I mean about the form factor allowing us to be more creative and innovative at the same time.

Here are some Flash clips of the stuff I have shot with the Flip:

JVC Four Amigos (3 camera comparison test).

Saw VI - Exclusive Interview with Tobin Bell | Horror.com (double system sound - mixed color temp direct overhead lighting).

YouTube - stacilayne's Channel (all the clips from the Mayan concert - this was a "no light" situation, shot from the middle of the "packed like sardines" audience standing in front of the stage).

Look at the clips and draw your own conclusions.

Last edited by Enzo Giobbé; November 18th, 2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo
Enzo Giobbé is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)