DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Garrett Brown and myself on Science Channel this week (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/467653-garrett-brown-myself-science-channel-week.html)

Charles Papert November 12th, 2009 10:20 PM

Garrett Brown and myself on Science Channel this week

I joined GB at the Steadicam factory to tape a segment for "Science of the Movies" which is currently airing on the Science Channel today through Saturday.

Episode Guide: Science of the Movies : Science Channel

It's a little bit of a silly piece but Garrett is always good for a few zingers. I got in about 1 1/4 zingers on my end, a few more whimsical wisecracks got left behind the edit.

Dave Gish, you'll enjoy the part where GB straps the host into a Pilot and has him do the hands-free balancing bit!

Chris Hurd November 12th, 2009 10:31 PM

Ha. Looking forward to it -- thanks Chas!

Dave Gish November 12th, 2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1446650)
Dave Gish, you'll enjoy the part where GB straps the host into a Pilot and has him do the hands-free balancing bit!

Now here's one time I really wished I owned a television.

Can someone tape this an post it somewhere?

Trevor Meeks November 13th, 2009 01:22 AM

Damn, I saw the previews for this but I forgot to DVR it - gonna make sure and record it on Saturday. I did see you in the previews though, Chas! Looking forward to catching it soon.

Paul Cascio November 13th, 2009 06:37 AM

Thanks Charles, looking forward to it. I just set my DVR to record the whole series. Are there any other similar series?

Don Bloom November 13th, 2009 02:25 PM

Charles,
I just watched the portion of the episode. Very cool. Now you're not just a world class operator, but a TV star in the making.
I really like Garretts first unit too. Just goes to show what the mind of a man can achieve.
So if Garrett is the Yoda of Steadicam are you Luke Skywalker?

O|O
\__/

Charles Papert November 13th, 2009 02:38 PM

We've always called GB "Obi-Wan", somehow it seems odd to refer to a 6'6" gent as Yoda...!

I guess I'm one of hundreds of Lukes; first learned from Garrett when I was 19, and was just as cocky as young Skywalker. I'm probably closer to Droopy McCool (the horn player in Max Rebo's band)!

Chris Medico November 13th, 2009 03:35 PM

I watched the segment last night. I enjoyed seeing you guys run around the shop in the rigs. Also glad to see a Pilot featured as a REAL rig. :)

How long did it take to shoot the video for the segment?

It had a very light and fun vibe to the edit that I found very entertaining.

Charles Papert November 13th, 2009 06:37 PM

I was only there for a couple of hours, I think they shot for probably six.

I liked the editing also. Kept things moving and playful but not overly quick-cut. I'm not personally a fan of having multiple moving images on screen at once though, I find I can't focus on any of them properly and it just frustrates me.

Chris Hurd November 13th, 2009 06:42 PM

Just now watched it on playback from the DVR. Agree w/ the annoying split-screens,
but very well done regardless. Really enjoyed the one-liners, Chas... in response to
something along the lines of "you look pretty comfortable," you said "I've had it on
since breakfast." Hah!

Robert Turchick November 14th, 2009 10:12 AM

That's one of my favorite shows (fun look at our industry!) and that particular episode had an unfortunate effect on me....I WANT A STEADICAM PILOT!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrgh! Anyone got a good deal on a complete rig?

Sean Seah November 19th, 2009 06:23 AM

How can I watch this from Asia???

Trevor Meeks November 19th, 2009 06:30 AM

I think Charles must have been hungry - he mentions food twice during the segment!

Charles Papert November 25th, 2009 02:26 PM

This segment now viewable on Youtube:

Part 1

Part 2

Niall Chadwick November 25th, 2009 03:31 PM

Nice piece :)

Very entertaining, thanks Charles for posting links

Oh and I love the dive cam. First time I saw a shot from that, my reaction was "Wow, how did they do that?"