DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Pilot vs Glidecam???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/468087-steadicam-pilot-vs-glidecam.html)

Giannis Pass November 20th, 2009 09:25 AM

Steadicam Pilot vs Glidecam????

Hello,
my name is Giannis and i am a wedding videographer from Athens, Greece.
I am a EX-1 XdCam Sony user.
I am interesting to buy a stabilizer with arm and vest and i am between these two options.
Reading the previous posts into this forum, i have seen that most of you are going more to Steadicam (maybe it is the name...).
For sure it is the first name in stabilizers and for sure the quality is top.
But what about the price?
The price of Pilot with Arm and Vest is near 5000$.... (is it right or i am wrong?)?
The same time the price of Glidecam with arm and vest is near teh half price....... (...).
And i am thinking.
Is it something that i have to pay or not?
I will use it only for weddings and for sure i am not be able to shoot all the time with the vest and the arm.
I will change also to Varizoom Flowpod.

Looking forward to your reply

Dave Gish November 20th, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giannis Pass (Post 1450084)
Hello,
my name is Giannis and i am a wedding videographer from Athens, Greece.
I am a EX-1 XdCam Sony user.
I am interesting to buy a stabilizer with arm and vest and i am between these two options.
Reading the previous posts into this forum, i have seen that most of you are going more to Steadicam (maybe it is the name...).

No, it's not the name. The Steadicam Pilot is just way better. If you haven't operated a stabilizer, it's hard to describe the difference, but trust me, the Pilot is way better.

Actually, if you break down the stabilizer market, for the low-end hand-held stuff, Steadicam may not be the best. The Blackbird is giving the Merlin real competition.

And then again at the high end, Steadicam may not be the best. PRO-GPI and MK-V are giving Steadicam real competition.

But for the Pilot and Flyer, I don't think Steadicam has real competition. Sure, there are cheaper rigs, but nothing comes close in quality.

Quote:

But what about the price?
The price of Pilot with Arm and Vest is near 5000$.... (is it right or i am wrong?)?

In the U.S., the Pilot starts at $3750:
Steadicam | Pilot-AA Camera Stablization System | PILOT-AA | B&H
In addition to that, you'll need 20 NiMH AA batteries and a charger, plus a stand for balancing, figure just over $4000 total.

I'm not sure how all this translates internationally.

Quote:

The same time the price of Glidecam with arm and vest is near teh half price....... (...).
And i am thinking.
Is it something that i have to pay or not?

Two comments here:
1) Learning to use any steadicam requires a lot of time and practice
2) I've used an older Glidecam rig, and the differece was huge.

Quote:

I will use it only for weddings and for sure i am not be able to shoot all the time with the vest and the arm.
I will change also to Varizoom Flowpod.

You can shoot with the Pilot all day. Why would you use the Flowpod?

Danny O'Neill November 24th, 2009 05:25 AM

6 months ago we upgraded from a Glidecam 2000 with arm and vest to a Steadicam Pilot and the difference is huge.

While the Glidecam was solid and you had no fears about throwing it in the back of your car the steadicam is worth the extra care.

The shots are infinatly smoother and have less bounce, the ability to pan with the larger pole is a lot easier and all round you just get better shots.

If you get the glidecam you have to fully expect your shots will be steadier than handheld BUT will be no where near like what you have seen a Steadicam produce.

The vest... now the vest leaves a lot to be desired and was and still is a real let down for me. Not as comfy as the glidecam vest but what do you expect for such a compact unit.

As Dave said it takes some practice. Dont expect to be getting any decent shots until at least 6 months in. Its not something you can just pick up and start producing movie magic. For months your shots will lean to one side or be framed badly :)

Ryan Morey November 30th, 2009 08:00 PM

You can also just buy a flyer vest if the pilot one isn't to your liking. You can use the flyer vest for the pilot but not the pilot vest for the flyer. I tried the pilot with the flyer vest when at the steadicam workshop in New York last winter. It was a huge difference in both quality and comfort. It also has a nice little back support pad built in:)

I've tried both units and I have to agree that the Pilot is just hands down a better product. I bought the pilot and love it. Good luck with everything.

Nick Tsamandanis November 30th, 2009 10:27 PM

I bought the Flyer vest for my Pilot and I love it. Much better.

Marcus Martell December 1st, 2009 03:59 AM

so u r sayng i can purchase a pilot steadicam with a flyer vest?

Paul Kellett December 1st, 2009 05:34 AM

What's the cost difference between the pilot vest and flyer vest ?
I'm on the verge of buying a pilot but haven't looked at this issue.

Thanks.
Paul.