Pilot replacement monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old November 26th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pilot replacement monitor

Hi Everyone,

I just starting having problems with my steadicam pilot monitor. It was flickering and cutting on and off. I took a look at the connections and the one power plug is loose. I think I have to replace the whole monitor. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost me? and how do I go about getting may hands on one? Is there any chance someone here has one that they would be willing to sell? Sorry for all of the questions. I'll call Tiffen/steadicam tomorrow and see what's what. I was just hoping that maybe someone has had a similar problem in the past. Thanks for the help!

Ryan
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm now thinking of upgrading to either a larger 7" monitor or even an hd set up. Is anyone familiar with what would fit on the pilot?

Any help would be great. I just figure that if I'm already going to be spending money on a replacement then I might as well upgrade if I can. Plus the 5.8" monitor isn't really all that terrific in the first place.

Thanks!
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Chk out the small HD or a marshall.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Major Player

If I could find and afford a good HD SDI replacement I would sell you mine... Any specific HD SDI models that would swap out nicely?? Want to try and stay the same size and weight if possible....
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Major Player

The most important feature in a Steadicam monitor is how well it works in sunlight. So the number of nits is more important than the number of pixels.

For example, many professional operators still use CRT monitors, like this:
http://www.xcsinc.com/ultimate/ult_compnts_TB6.html
or this:
http://www.progpi.com/product/components/4/
These are standard definition, green & white (not color), and cost around $15K (just for the monitor), but they are the absolute best in direct sunlight.

Charles Papert recently hosted a "monitor shootout" to see which LCD monitors come closest to the CRT in direct sunlight. The results are here:
monitorshootout
and more here:
http://www.steadicamforum.com/index....pic=9953&st=15
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The Flyer monitor is very good. I've been very happy with mine. I believe Charles flies a stock Flyer monitor (with a custom yoke for DB) on his Nimblecam ssetup.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)