Steadicam Flyer + DSLR options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 15th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Trustee

Steadicam Flyer + DSLR options

Flyer owners, how are you weighting down the stage with a light DSLR? I know we can add a cage like the way Stillmotion does it but its a lot more cost and bulk for me. If I'm not wrong the Flyer cant add weights to the stage like the Pilot right?

Is anybody mounting a 5D2/7D directly on the stage?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You don't need a full cage, just a plate will do. You can buy a 6.5 lb or 15 lb weight plate for $200 from Janice Arthur (search the Steadicam Forum). (You can buy multiple plates and make a cage if you want). I just bit the bullet and ordered one today.

I suppose you could also find a block or plate of steel at a metal supply house and have a machinist drill a few holes. to make your own weight plate.

When you consider the time and hassle involved in rigging one yourself, buying a weight plate is not terribly expensive, and you have professionally tapped holes, etc.

You are correct that the Flyer doesn't have the ability to use the screw-on merlin/pilot weights.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,

I have a Flyer LE from when I was using it with my HD200.. but now am on Day 3 of trying to mount my 5D on this thing.

I have a 5lb weight that was used to counterbalance a teleprompter that i'm using for the other end of the plate. Right now, the total weight is around 10.5 lbs.

How would you recommend to distribute the weight on the top sled? Because, i'm trying so many different configurations, and still can't nail down the wobble. Don't really want to buy a cage either.

Thanks for any help
Marc de Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Just a pilot here but we had a load of plates that came with our Glidecam. Never used them until now. They do a cracking job at about 400g each.
Old March 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Dan, the pilot is capable of mounting additional weights on the stage. Its very handy for mounting a DSLR.

Hmm sounds like a great idea to customise some weights. Anyway I'm still riding out in hope of a new Flyer LE at NAB. Keepin' ma fingers crossed!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Flying a 7D tomorrow on the pilot. Rigged the sled up today..

Even with a bunch of pilot weights on the top stage.. i could only just get a 2 second drop time, and even then the gimbal is to far down the center post for my liking..

Managed to get nice DB however.

Tokina 11-16mm stopped down to about F8. No budget for a wireless follow focus on the job let alone room.

Although with a Zacuto mini baseplate and rails i could probably do it, would also help with the weight of the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Steadicam Flyer + DSLR options-pilot7d.jpg  
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #7
Major Player

True, the pilot weights are amazing. Problem being to get the same weight would mean having some crazy long top weights and these things cost £20 per little weight!
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, its a shame the price's went up.. I bought a bunch of extra ones for my rig when they were at the old price - $5.95USD or so each...
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)