DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Indicam vest/arm or Merlin vest/arm from steadicam?: (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/470435-indicam-vest-arm-merlin-vest-arm-steadicam.html)

Simon Zimmer January 4th, 2010 01:21 PM

Indicam vest/arm or Merlin vest/arm from steadicam?:

Hello,

I own the sled for the Indicam. I love it and I am thinking about buying the arm and vest. However, I am not sure if I want the indicam arm and vest or the merlin arm and vest from Steadicam.

Anyone have experience with both and can let me know which makes more sense.

I own the HMC-150 but see myself upgrading to a new camera within a year which will probably weight 6 pounds or so without any audio or lights on it.

Look forward to any advice someone might have.

Simon

Sean Seah January 5th, 2010 03:35 AM

I owned both. Honestly the price is a big diff so the comfort varies. The indicam vest + arm (i used to own the bag vest) was not as comfortable as the merlin vest. I think the new indicam vest is much better now.

The arm is where the big diff is. Indicam was built for budget while the merlin/pilot vest is built for luxury. The price diff is for the refinements.

At the end of the day, choose the system u can afford. Both will do the job but one allows u to do it in a more comfortable manner.

Simon Zimmer January 5th, 2010 10:03 AM

Hi Sean,

Good advice. After talking with Terry from Indicam, I think it makes more sense to go with the 214 arm which can handle any camera from 2 to 14 pounds. It will cost about 2 grand since I have the Indisled already but the support at Indicam is so good. I have to stick with them. :)

Having talked to others, the Merlin seems to have issues with heavier camcorders. And I definitely can't afford the Steadicam Pilot. sighhhh! One day though! :)

Simon

Sean Seah January 6th, 2010 11:36 PM

My pleasure Simon. Terry is a great guy and his support is TOPS.. and that even all the way to Singapore so I'm sure you with have a good experience.

Simon Zimmer January 6th, 2010 11:53 PM

Correction - I went with the 207 arm. I get it next week. :)

I can upgrade to the 214 later. What a great deal!

:)

Simon

Simon Zimmer January 8th, 2010 09:35 AM

Hi Sean,

I went with the 207 arm for now and can upgrade later!

I am excited because I have a corporate video to do where I need to film a building (outside and inside). This will be perfect.

Take care,

Simon

Charles King January 8th, 2010 10:18 AM

I think Terry's custom service is fantastic. I tested out the new surfer system and here is my review on it: http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/indicamsurferreview.pdf

Simon Zimmer January 8th, 2010 10:51 AM

Thanks, I will check it out!

And yes Terry's support is excellent.

Simon

Jim Schuchmann January 8th, 2010 07:58 PM

Congratulations Simon and welcome to the club!
I purchased the 207 about a year ago and absolutely love it. It does everything that I need in event video. Walking through a display home, following the bride and groom down a trail, walking down the center of marching bands. It goes where I need to go and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. But it sure gets me instant respect when I strap it on!
The one thing that I did was get a quick release plate to mount on the sled and a tripod so that I don't have to re-balance the sled every time I need to switch. You'll learn pretty quick after the first setup and balance the feel and the tricks to balancing in a hurry. A 1/32 of an inch one way or the other means a lot sometimes. Just make sure that the viewfinder is open, right battery and tape loaded and lens cap off before adjusting.
I fly a Canon xh-a1 on the rig and it balances out nicely. I too thought about going for the 210 or 214 arm but thought that with the current trend in cameras going toward flash drives, future cameras will probably get lighter instead of heavier, time will tell.
Anyway, Happy flying and remember practice, practice, practice.
Jim

Simon Zimmer January 9th, 2010 08:05 AM

Arm 207:

Hi Jim,

Thanks. I am very excited. I realize this equipment will allow me to do so much more but yes I will practice, practice and practice some more.:)

Fortunately, I bought the sled in October so I have practiced with that and can balance the camera relatively quick though having a stand to balance is essential. I also have a quick release plate which you are right is very important.

I have the DVDs from Terry so I get the arm next week.

:)))))

Take care,

Simon