DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam X-22 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/472763-glidecam-x-22-a.html)

Simon Wyndham February 12th, 2010 06:36 PM

Glidecam X-22

I just bought one. I have it on its C-stand right now, and I'm marvelling at it! How can a piece of engineering do this to me?

Charles King February 15th, 2010 03:31 AM

Ok, get a hotel room. ;) Congrats. Enjoy it well until your next upgrade.

Joe Lawry February 15th, 2010 04:15 AM

Thought you decided on a flyer! what happened?

Simon Wyndham February 15th, 2010 04:28 AM

Yep, I ping ponged back and forth more times than a table tennis match. But I was made an offer that I couldn't refuse.

Glidecam have come a long way. If this was a few years ago I wouldn't have made this decision, but the new rig is very good indeed. I'd much rather get my practise in with the X-22 using it on in house productions and then consider a larger rig later on.

The X-22 appears to have more adjustment for dynamic balance since both the fore and aft of the sled base can be slid back and forth. The arm also appears to be very well made (though still appears to have some of the springiness that Charles mentioned in his round up). The X-22 can also support more weight (the arm is actually rated up to 30lbs, even though the sled can't go that high).

So far I am very happy, both with the performance and the price. I just need to practice one heck of a lot more!

Trevor Meeks February 15th, 2010 05:42 AM

Very happy with my X-22 as well. I operated the X-22 with my ~23 lb Redrock-Equipped EX1 rig for two days during our December workshop with Charles. I definitely see some of the advantages that the Steadicam rigs have over the X-22, but as a first-time operator the weight capacity, price and features of the X-22 certainly outweighed the current Steadicam offerings, and I have no regrets about my purchase. Yes, the arm is a tad bit springy, but seems to operate very smoothly when properly set up. Again, the Steadicam rigs are unmatched when it comes to their iso-elastic arms and frictionless gimbals, but the GC X-22 sure does come close. Hoping to see a refresh of the Flyer at or around NAB this year - that REALLY is a nice rig, but the lack of sled adjustments is a bummer. I agree, Simon, the sliding plates on the sled sure make for easier dynamic balancing - that's what I was doing on my 1D Mark IV rig tonight!

A couple of pix of my X-22 rig with the 1D Mark IV - been working hard to configure this for a shoot next week!

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 1D Mark IV + Glidecam X-22

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 1D Mark IV + Redrock Components + Glidecam X-22

Flickr Photo Download: Canon 1D Mark IV + Redrock Components + Glidecam X-22

Peter D. Parker February 18th, 2010 09:30 AM

Simon, you'd better update your web site re buying an X-22, on there, you say you've decided to go for the Steadicam Flyer !

Peter

Simon Wyndham February 18th, 2010 09:38 AM

Good point! I thought I had. Clearly been messing around with it too much!