7d + Merlin help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Tourist

7d + Merlin help

I have the 7d with the sigma 10-20 on the merlin and I have it pretty much balanced. The buble is perfect and the drop time is about 1 sec. The problem I have is that when I have it on the Tripod docking station it always turns to the left and then it stops there but still the buble is in the middle. I do find that it sways when I use it sugestin that it is a little botton heavy but the drop time is 1 sec.

Any thoughts

Sebastian
Sebastian Gianino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

7D & Merlin Steadicam & Sigma 10-20mm Help

Hi and welcome to DVinfo,

I see you've had no replies yet. Maybe if you post all your settings that you are using on the Merlin someone can give you some helpful advice?

Also, look at this thread for some information which may help - the Merlin settings in the thread posted by Andrew Waite are for a Ti2/550D with a Canon 10-22mm though - and as you know the 550D is lighter than the more ruggedly built 7D anyway.

I have the 7D, Merlin and Canon 10-22mm - so more similar to your set-up - but have not had time yet to try it! (so much existing work that I've little play time at the moment!)

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...erlin-t2i.html
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3
Major Player

If you hold it in your hand does it turn to the left too?

I have the same camera and lens and I also use a dovetail clamp and L-plate so that I can quickly unmount the camera from the steadicam without unscrewing. You can see the L-plate in my blogpost here:
Fluid head or Ball head? - brian

I find that with the clamp and L-plate the steadicam is quite top heavy. It takes over a second to balance, but that is good. I keep it as top heavy as possible (but not tipping over).
Brian Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)