Test Footage - Need help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Test Footage - Need help!

I just got a Glidecam 2000 Pro. As you can see from my footage, I need help! Please point out anything you think I can improve on.

YouTube - Glidecam 2000 Pro Test
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

I would be careful about fouling your gimbal with your other hand. It's hard to see in the video but it does look like the gimbal action might be compromised if your fingers are touching it. Your drop time looks good but have you also done a dynamic balance??? Hold the rig and gently spin the rig on the gimbal and make sure that it stays more or less vertical.

Any stabilizer will still pick up movement from your walking motion so you also need to learn to walk smoothly...knees slightly bent and then walk with more of a flowing motion than a stepping motion...the smoother you walk, the less the rig needs to compensate!! It's a good idea to also practice keeping an object exactly in the same place. Try putting a piece of paper with a big "cross" at the end of a passageway and walk towards it and see if you can keep the cross exactly in the middle of LCD. Regardless of the cost, all stablizers require lots and lots of practice so keep walking!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Definitely looks like you are holding the post too tightly. I can tell your grip is quite tight by the way you are holding your other fingers. When you are standing still talking to the camera it also looks like you might be too close to the gimbal itself (ie your fingers are actually interfering directly with it). Move your fingers very slightly down from the gimbal (not too much though as you still want to be close to it), and make your touch much, much lighter. Don't have any compression on your finger skin unless you are stopping rig momentum during a turn or a stop, and trust the device to hold its position more.

I'm not an expert on this as I'm very much learning myself, but you want to try and minimise the input you have on the device. I used a Glidecam 2000 Pro for years when I used to use DV, so I know that good results can be obtained with one. It does take a lot of practise though.

Try not to touch and untouch the post as this can introduce small movements. Also bear in mind that because your camera is very light the whole system will be very twitchy. Also try putting at least one weight at the front and back of the base and spread them as far out from the centre as you can to increase rotational inertia. I don't think the 2000 will perform that well without at least some weight on the bottom. Then shorten the post to get the drop time back on track to counter this.

You could also try a slightly shorter drop time. Lastly make absolutely sure that the rig is trimmed perfectly level when you are not touching it. Otherwise you will be constantly fighting to keep the horizon level, and thus end up touching the post too tightly as a result.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you both very much. This info is very valuable. Now that you've pointed these things out, they seem so obvious! I'll work on it and hopefully have some new footage to post soon.
Old May 10th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I recommend this video even thou your model is different.

YouTube - Glidecam 101: Part 2

I'm still learning too.

Here is a quick scene I did all on my glidecam.

I used a 10-22mm Canon lens, Rhode Mic, small quick release plate.

Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)