DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Steadicam Zephyr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/476667-steadicam-zephyr.html)

Simon Wyndham April 12th, 2010 10:30 AM

Steadicam Zephyr

Looks nice!
Steadicam Zephyr Home Page - Tiffen.Com

So is this a Flyer LE replacement?

Mark Schlicher April 12th, 2010 07:29 PM

In a word, yes.

Vest, arm, post and gimbal look to be basically unchanged from the Flyer, from appearances and description at least. Some tweaks to both but no major re-engineering it seems.

Monitor specs sound the same, though the case looks different. No word on their HD monitor offerings.

The top stage and (especially) the bottom stage are the biggest improvements. The intertial weights will really help the rig fly like a big-rig without big-rig weight, and finally dynamic balance will be easy to dial in. The connectivity and power options are expanded in useful ways, although the lack of HDMI cable through the center post is an unfortunate omission, given the growing popularity of dSLR's. It would be a great way to give a nod to this important and growing niche. Who knows, maybe they are planning to add that to the Pilot.

All-in-all a great step forward from the Flyer series, not revolutionary, but a solid upgraded.

Interesting to see what the pricing will be...my guess is that it won't be much different than the current Flyer LE. We'll see...

Sean Seah April 12th, 2010 07:48 PM

I'm guessing it would be a little higher priced than the Flyer but I really hope not! TANGO compatibility is pretty nice too.

Simon Wyndham April 13th, 2010 06:33 AM

Mikko Wilson was suggesting that it was to be placed between the Flyer and the Archer. Would see to be a bit of a micro incremental difference if that is the case since the Zephyr carries roughly the same weight, but has far more adjustability.

David Johnson April 20th, 2010 10:44 PM

The guys in the booth didn't have any pricing info on it yet. But I can't really see a reason for the Flyer to stick around, Zephyr seemed to do everything better and be in the same weight class. The one I flew had a really nice bright monitor and very stable handling characteristics... I want one ;-)

However there is a huge gulf in the pricing line up between the Pilot and the Clipper/Archer models, so who knows where they'll position it... lower I hope.

Sean Seah April 22nd, 2010 11:44 AM

Was the monitor u saw a standard 7" ? I wonder how is the connector. I find the Pilot monitor connector pretty weak.

Mark Schlicher April 22nd, 2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Johnson (Post 1517352)
The guys in the booth didn't have any pricing info on it yet. But I can't really see a reason for the Flyer to stick around, Zephyr seemed to do everything better and be in the same weight class. The one I flew had a really nice bright monitor and very stable handling characteristics... I want one ;-)

However there is a huge gulf in the pricing line up between the Pilot and the Clipper/Archer models, so who knows where they'll position it... lower I hope.

My guess is that they will keep the Flyer LE in the lineup until they deplete inventory. Don't want to stomp on demand for the Flyer before the Zephyr is ready to ship, by announcing the retirement of the Flyer just yet.

Sean Seah April 23rd, 2010 04:55 AM

wonder if it would start shipping in May. I'm dying to know the price...!

Scott E. Brown April 23rd, 2010 07:33 PM

I've held off buying the Flyer because I knew some revision was coming out -- if it is within $1-2k I'll be happy...

Come on Tiffen!! Release the pricing!

David Johnson April 23rd, 2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Seah (Post 1518075)
Was the monitor u saw a standard 7" ? I wonder how is the connector. I find the Pilot monitor connector pretty weak.

Yes, it was 7" and I'm pretty sure high definition too.

Sean Seah April 24th, 2010 06:59 AM

Patrick M just released a demo video that is really awesome. There are only 2 units it seems. I hope the units will go into production next month.

Charles King April 24th, 2010 07:03 AM

Desperate are we Sean? :)

Sean Seah April 24th, 2010 08:39 AM

Especially when i just sold my Pilot!!!!

Joe Lawry April 24th, 2010 01:55 PM

There were two Zephyrs at NAB.

One had a standard flyer monitor on it - which is what the sled comes standard with, the other than the HD upgrade monitor.

The sled flys just like a big pilot, and has even more adjustment range for DB than both the pilot and flyer.

A really nice rig, definitely worth getting over the flyer le i reckon, but i'd say it'll be a few thousand more.

Id buy it in a heartbeat.. but i need something bigger...