Steadicam Zephyr at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old April 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Trustee

Steadicam Zephyr

Looks nice!
Steadicam Zephyr Home Page - Tiffen.Com

So is this a Flyer LE replacement?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

In a word, yes.

Vest, arm, post and gimbal look to be basically unchanged from the Flyer, from appearances and description at least. Some tweaks to both but no major re-engineering it seems.

Monitor specs sound the same, though the case looks different. No word on their HD monitor offerings.

The top stage and (especially) the bottom stage are the biggest improvements. The intertial weights will really help the rig fly like a big-rig without big-rig weight, and finally dynamic balance will be easy to dial in. The connectivity and power options are expanded in useful ways, although the lack of HDMI cable through the center post is an unfortunate omission, given the growing popularity of dSLR's. It would be a great way to give a nod to this important and growing niche. Who knows, maybe they are planning to add that to the Pilot.

All-in-all a great step forward from the Flyer series, not revolutionary, but a solid upgraded.

Interesting to see what the pricing will be...my guess is that it won't be much different than the current Flyer LE. We'll see...
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm guessing it would be a little higher priced than the Flyer but I really hope not! TANGO compatibility is pretty nice too.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Trustee

Mikko Wilson was suggesting that it was to be placed between the Flyer and the Archer. Would see to be a bit of a micro incremental difference if that is the case since the Zephyr carries roughly the same weight, but has far more adjustability.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #5
Tourist

The guys in the booth didn't have any pricing info on it yet. But I can't really see a reason for the Flyer to stick around, Zephyr seemed to do everything better and be in the same weight class. The one I flew had a really nice bright monitor and very stable handling characteristics... I want one ;-)

However there is a huge gulf in the pricing line up between the Pilot and the Clipper/Archer models, so who knows where they'll position it... lower I hope.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Trustee

Was the monitor u saw a standard 7" ? I wonder how is the connector. I find the Pilot monitor connector pretty weak.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnson View Post
The guys in the booth didn't have any pricing info on it yet. But I can't really see a reason for the Flyer to stick around, Zephyr seemed to do everything better and be in the same weight class. The one I flew had a really nice bright monitor and very stable handling characteristics... I want one ;-)

However there is a huge gulf in the pricing line up between the Pilot and the Clipper/Archer models, so who knows where they'll position it... lower I hope.
My guess is that they will keep the Flyer LE in the lineup until they deplete inventory. Don't want to stomp on demand for the Flyer before the Zephyr is ready to ship, by announcing the retirement of the Flyer just yet.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Trustee

wonder if it would start shipping in May. I'm dying to know the price...!
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #9
New Boot

I've held off buying the Flyer because I knew some revision was coming out -- if it is within $1-2k I'll be happy...

Come on Tiffen!! Release the pricing!
Scott E. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:27 PM   #10
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Was the monitor u saw a standard 7" ? I wonder how is the connector. I find the Pilot monitor connector pretty weak.
Yes, it was 7" and I'm pretty sure high definition too.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Trustee

Patrick M just released a demo video that is really awesome. There are only 2 units it seems. I hope the units will go into production next month.
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #12
Major Player

Desperate are we Sean? :)
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #13
Trustee

Especially when i just sold my Pilot!!!!
Old April 24th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Major Player

There were two Zephyrs at NAB.

One had a standard flyer monitor on it - which is what the sled comes standard with, the other than the HD upgrade monitor.

The sled flys just like a big pilot, and has even more adjustment range for DB than both the pilot and flyer.

A really nice rig, definitely worth getting over the flyer le i reckon, but i'd say it'll be a few thousand more.

Id buy it in a heartbeat.. but i need something bigger...
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)