With a vest or without at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old April 14th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Major Player

With a vest or without

I was thinking of getting the Steadicam Merlin system for wedding shooting with the fx1000.
I wanted to know if a vest is a must for this camera.

As well, will a vest system be too bulky for wedding shooting.
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Dror

I used a vest system with a stedicam rig for two wedding seasons and it just is too much hassle to get the vest on and off. In the confines of a Church you will battle. I only used the rig on the photoshoot but it took so long to suit up and suit down it was hardly worth it and all the effort.

If you have a 2nd operator (I don't) then it might be OK but on your own it's really more trouble than it's worth!! If you must have stedicam shots then I would look into getting just a handheld Merlin or similar rig and put a DSLR on it (An FX1000 will break your arm after 15 mins of shooting) Things happen so fast at weddings you really do need a "grab 'n shoot" rig as there is often just no time to "get ready"

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #3
Major Player

I have the 7d, but I think it is imposible to work with it on glide without autofocus.
Old April 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Dror

The guys do it, especially with the 7D... if you shoot fairly wide and with enough DOF you will stay in focus with having to resort to buying remote focus units!!!

If you do want to fly the FX1000 then you just might need a vest but I would rather go for something like a Pilot so at least you have a decent LCD on the sled!! I still think that you will find that using any stedicam and trying to shoot the other parts of a wedding will not be easy. I would use a full vest rig IF I had the freedom to move around the venue just getting cinematic footage and not having to worry about audio, framing and the bride and groom. If you do a two or 3 person shoot then get a full vest/sled and you will get some amazing footage as the other 2 people are worrying about the realtime shots for you.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Chris,
Thank you so much for all of your help.
l I think I will give it a try with the 7d and the glide without a vest.

Last edited by Dror Levi; April 15th, 2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: glide
Dror Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #6
New Boot

If handheld, I would recommend the Steadicam Merlin. I've also heard the Blackbird is even better, but I have no experience with that.

For small quick shots, I think the Merlin is great handheld. But I also picked up the Merlin Arm & Vest and it is a huge help. The Merlin Arm & Vest is very portable and would be fine for a wedding.

If you pick up a Glidecam, get the HD series, it is more adjustable.

I've just picked up a Glidecam HD4000 and thinking of attaching it to my Merlin Arm & Vest with a few nuts and bolts (this has been done before with great success). It's an extremely low cost alternative to the Steadicam Pilot.

-David
David Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)