DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   beta-testing the steadicam zephyr (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/477490-beta-testing-steadicam-zephyr.html)

Patrick Moreau April 24th, 2010 01:07 AM

beta-testing the steadicam zephyr

i feel a little self-conscious posting this test footage here knowing the likes of charles and mikko often frequent the forum, but for the benefit of others i'll risk embarrassment and post this up. tiffen lent me one of the two zephyr units and let me do some testing with it over the weekend. here is some test footage we shot in downtown seattle. this is from the first flight just trying to have some fun and do some more complicated moves as we thought of them.

see the post for a full review and comments.

P.

Simon Wyndham April 24th, 2010 02:08 AM

Patrick, nice stuff! Especially that end shot!

Charles Papert April 24th, 2010 03:02 AM

Very nice Patrick, good control of the rig.

Sean Seah April 24th, 2010 06:25 AM

Nice moves Patrick!! Now the million $ question.. will u ditch yr Flyer LE for this? Do you feel a big difference in handling? Most importantly is the rig weight similar?

Patrick Moreau April 24th, 2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1518728)
Very nice Patrick, good control of the rig.

thanks charles. i'm printing this one out and hanging it on my wall :)

great meeting you last year at NAB as well.

P.

Patrick Moreau April 24th, 2010 10:44 AM

sean,

hard to say for sure without the MSRP released, but if at all possible i would choose this over a pilot or a flyer. i feel it can be both, it is just better.

it can be of similar weight to the flyer, i think i got it a little heavier without using any batteries but by stacking the weights on the bottom. ideally i would add a couple more weights to the bottom, use their weight adapter plate on the top, and then add a battery or two (for weight) to get me up another five pounds.

P.

Sean Seah April 24th, 2010 10:11 PM

its interesting that you choose to operate with the onboard LCD. I find it too small. The other issue is keeping in focus should I use fast primes. Wide lens are no issues so far so how do you manage the focus with fast primes?

Charles has explained the DOF calculator solution which would be great but I'm thinking how to manage it at events where there is no time.

Nick Tsamandanis April 25th, 2010 07:09 AM

LOVE it! Well done.

Mark Schlicher April 25th, 2010 09:38 AM

Yes, well-done!

I don't recognize the cage/bracketry on the top stage. Who makes this?

Scott E. Brown April 26th, 2010 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Schlicher (Post 1519170)
Yes, well-done!

I don't recognize the cage/bracketry on the top stage. Who makes this?

Cinevate: Cinevate Inc.