Image/Footage stabalization Software truly amazing ACTS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Image/Footage stabalization Software truly amazing ACTS

Something to try that works great to stabalize footage that I just discovered, it wasn't that easy to locate however I located it and it produces very stable footage.

Heres a brief description of the free software...
ACTS is an automatic camera tracking system which can efficiently and stably recover camera motion as well as 3D scene strucutre from videos and film sequences. It is for non-commercial research and educational use ONLY. Not for reproduction, distribution or commercial use. If you use this executable for your academic publication, please acknowledge our work. This program is tested on Windows XP, Server 2003, but is still not guaranteed to be bug-free and work properly with all versions of Windows. You are welcome to report any suggestions or bugs. We will actively update the program. Please email Guofeng Zhang if you have any questions.

Structure-from-Motion is a cornerstone for many other computer vision tasks, such as 3D reconstruction, video-based rendering and video editing. In the future, we will actively update ACTS and add more and more advanced or extra functions along with our published papers, such as non-consecutive feature tracking, video stabilization, stereoscopic video synthesis, and depth video recovery.

The site: ACTS Software

An example of some footage I shot with a canon 7D hand held then ran it thru the ACTS software.

YouTube - Video Stabilization with ACTS Software

Last edited by Martin Smith; June 14th, 2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: mispelling
Martin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Very impressive footage. Looks like it was done with a steadicam, not hand held.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Martin,

I can't get past the first post with this one. Tried loading a HD clip (*.MTS file from Canon Vixia HF S100) but it choked. Do you know what formats this accepts?

Thanks,
Terence
Terence Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

the software only accepts an image sequence as input, I render out from aftereffects as a png sequence then import into acts. the next step from within acts is to go to the actions menu and tell it to track.
Martin Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)