DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Varizoom Universal Stabilizing Arm & Vest (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/480398-varizoom-universal-stabilizing-arm-vest.html)

John Benton June 14th, 2010 07:56 PM

Varizoom Universal Stabilizing Arm & Vest

Hello all,
I have a Glidecam 4000, I use with a 5D dslr
and I want a vest & arm to fly it for longer shoots.
I m on a budget and Varizoom makes a Universal Stabilizing Arm & Vest that evidently works with the Glidecam
VariZoom Dv Sportster, Navigator arm for Steadicam Merlin, Glidecam 4000, 2000, FlowPod, Steadicam JR

but I am not sure about the gimble on it
I could go with an old Smoothshooter arm & vest, but even that is double the price

any thoughts?
Other ideas are more than welcome
Thanks
John

Charles King June 15th, 2010 03:18 PM

I'd say go with the dual smooth shooter arm instead. It behaves better than the ones you mentioned.

Chris Harding June 15th, 2010 04:43 PM

Hi John

I agree with Charles ..the dual arm will be way better..I have had both!!

If you do settle for a single arm and vest then as a temporary solution until your budget recovers, grab a CineCity single arm and vest off eBay ..they have 'em for under $500 and are basically a copy of the Varizoom vest and arm but not as well made.

I know even a used Shooter vest will cost you a mint but just bear in mind that you get what you pay for!!

Chris

John Benton June 15th, 2010 10:03 PM

Thanks,
Yeah...I know, but the Smoother Shooter is a single arm...
Are there any cheaper double arm systems?
Ugh

Thanks guys,
J

Chris Harding June 16th, 2010 12:49 AM

Hi John

Sorry my mistake!! I had the X-10 arm in my head and thought they were both classed under the smooth-shooter banner!!

The Single arm is way more robust and well engineered compared to the Flycam arm but then again it's 3 times the price.

Unless you have a LOT of gear surely you can manage a DSLR handheld. Trust me, a vest and arm is a pain to setup unless you have lots of time!!! I stopped using a vest at wedding shoots as the shoot ended up being shorter than the setup time and a big dual arm system can't really be used inside a well packed Church!!!

People with DSLR's seem to be having great success with the BlackBird rig?? Maybe sell the sled and buy just one of those???

Chris

Charles Papert June 16th, 2010 01:22 AM

Another option is the Indicam (indicam.com) system, they sell the vest and arm separately and it is compatible with the Glidecam.

Terry Thompson June 23rd, 2010 09:38 AM

Thanks Charles.

John,

You mentioned you weren't sure about the "gimbal on it". The gimbal is on your sled (Glidecam in your case) and not the arm. You probably meant different.

Remember that you will use your stabilizer through many different cameras so get a good one. It's like getting a good computer monitor. You go through many different computers but still keep the same monitor if it's good.

Tery

John Benton June 23rd, 2010 09:42 AM

Thanks Terry.
Yes you are right on both accounts.
because I am using it for DSLR shooting, I was thinking that a smaller rig might be ok. I am looking deals on a smooth shooter vest & arm... hard to find.

J