Sturdycam vs Blackbird at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old October 1st, 2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sturdycam vs Blackbird

I need a budget steadicam for 5D. I have narrowed it down to: CMR Blackbird ($485) and Sturdycam ($220). Blackbird is well reviewed, and Sturdycam seems to be an unknown from Europe, can't find any reviews or comparisons. But the demos he has are _very_ impressive (steady shot while jumping on a trampoline!!) doesn't hurt that Sturdycam is 1/2 the price than Blackbird... :)

Some samples I saw of Sturdycam:
Bumpy Road: YouTube - The SturdyCam - Bump Test
Running: YouTube - The SturdyCam - Running Test
More Videos: Sturdy Shots: Videos

anyone used it? Merlin is elegant, but out of my price range....
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:01 AM   #2
New Boot

I'm a Blackbird user, I'm very happy with my result, it's a great product, you won't go wrong with it.
However, if you are only mounting on 5D on the steadicam, I probably would go for Sturdycam, the footage on the webstie do look impressive.
But if you consider having a light or monitor or even a wireless FF system on it later, go for BB.
Chih-Kuang Tu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)