Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Re: Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes

Chris, re: the case:

It's a Thermodyne case, same as they use for the Flyer and Archer. My case shows the same handle behavior but I haven't had any practical problems. Biggest challenge is when inexperienced production assistants try to use it to lift the case by that handle!!
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #92
Regular Crew

Chris,

Thank you for your pictures. They're very helpful. I just wonder if it possible to swap the SD monitor on the Zephyr? Would you mind telling me the screw diameter on the monitor mount?

Thanks.

Best,
-terje
Old March 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #93
Regular Crew

No problems Terje, its half an hour after midnight here now, so I'll have a look in the morning and maybe post another image (they're not great photos but I never said I was a stills guy!)
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #94
Regular Crew

When you get a chance, could you post a pic of the arm as well, just to complete the set? Also, does the arm post spin, ala pilot arm with nylon flange inserts around the arm post, or is it fixed?
Robert Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #95
Regular Crew

Look I must apologize again for the lack of sharpness, but I'm hand holding on very low shutter speed (1/3"), I just don't have time to be setting up tripods at the moment! Anyway hopefully these will be good enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes-img_2924.jpg   Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes-img_2928.jpg  

Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes-img_2930.jpg   Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes-img_2935.jpg  

Steadicam Zephyr-upgrade changes-img_2938.jpg  
Old March 8th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #96
Regular Crew

Forgot to mention the purpose of taking a shot of the v-lock plate! In case you might need a longer-shafted screw wheel to put on your new monitor, the thread is identical to the female in a v-lock plate.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #97
Major Player

Hey Chris,

Not sure if you have had a lot of time to fine tune your arm but I noticed something that would cause most people a bit of problem keeping the sled from wanting to fly away from you.

Note the threads on the two eye bolts in the last photo. You want the top one to be snug up against the travel of the threads much like it is but the one on the bottom is extended really far out. Not sure of your build but you might want to try dialing that one in somewhat. Most people have it dialed in so you can see about 3 to 4 rounds of threads. I think you have about 10 showing there. Everyone is different but that does appear extreme.

If that was me the rig would just fly away from me the instant I let go of the sled. Ideally you want to have the rig so when your posture is good and erect that the sled should hover in front of you and you adjust it with tiny micro-movements of your body. If you have to arc yourself way back you want to dial in the threads again. If you slams against your chest dial it out.

Terje, that would be a 1/4" 20 threaded bolt/screw. That is pretty much the standard on monitors whether the threaded holes are on the bottom, sides or the top.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #98
Regular Crew

Thanks Andrew, but I'm still way off getting time to play with it properly. I'm sure I would have been more enthused if I was able to bring the whole rig back with me from the workshop. Waiting weeks for a simple repair on a straight from the factory stabilizer was not a good experience, also meaning a lot of the freshness of the learning experience was lost.

On top that I've been very busy with other things and as a result the rig has mainly been sitting on a c-stand in the office. I had one fly with my Z1, but after a quick attempt at balancing the PMW 350 a few days later (with many random macro adjustments!) I convinced myself I didn't have time right then, which I didn't as it turns out. What you are looking at then is one of several blindly adjusted screws from an abandoned balancing attempt!

I'll set aside a day soon to actually put the instruction dvd up on the mac screen and all will be well, but thanks for the observation!
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Chris,

Thank you! Excellent job! Your photo answered my long wondered question. It seems doable to attach a Marshall V-LCD651ST monitor on the Zephyr using composite in. That's really great.

Thanks Andrew for comfirming that it's a standard 1/4" 20 threaded bolt/screw.

Best,
-terje
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #100
Major Player

Fair enough Chris. I can understand your frustration. Hopefully you can get everything sorted...soon.

Terje, the Zephyr is to be wired for a High Def montior so you shouldn't have a problem going over to that Marshall.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #101
Regular Crew

Andrew,

You're probably right. I just wasn't sure about the mounting options for an alternative monitor OR if the HD and SD version of the Zephyr have the same wiring? There are very few monitor otpions out there suitable for bright daylight use AND with HD-SDI+HDMI+component (or composite) input, without spending an arm and a leg buying it, of course. The Marshall monitor is an acceptable compromise, I guess. :-)

Best,
-terje
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #102
Regular Crew

From the Steadicam Zephyr web page section on the sled base:

"- Standard HD BNC video connector and interchangeable monitor harness."

Considering that other features and options have been changed without Tiffen changing their website, we can't be sure that this is true and accurate information.

I will have more to contribute next week after I bring my Zephyr home.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #103
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Rian View Post
There are very few monitor otpions out there suitable for bright daylight use AND with HD-SDI+HDMI+component (or composite) input, without spending an arm and a leg buying it, of course.
Why do you want HD? With the size of a steadicam monitor and the typical distance from your eyes, I don't think it will make much difference.

And what about wireless video? HD wireless costs a fortune. So if the camera doesn't offer a composite output, you'll still need an HD to SD downconverter box to run wireless video for the director and DP.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #104
Regular Crew

Dave,

I don't neccessarily want a HD monitor on the Steadicam. It all started when I saw the price difference between the Zephyr SD and HD version. I rather buy the SD version and have the option to upgrade the monitor to one that'll do a better job, that can be used with ALL of my cameras (HD-SDI/HMDI/component/composite) during ANY work scenario. As long as this goal is in reach, I'm happy. I haven't even started evaluating the monitor needs on the Steadicam itself, which I believe your response was all about?

Best,
-terje
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #105
Regular Crew

I must say Terje, I'm much the same. I think few of us here are planning to be just Stabilizer Operators, for me its another tool in the kit. As the world changes and we all take on multi-roles I want to be able to mix and match my equipment as well. For instance I was hoping to use this for occasional playback to Clients on a shoot and even being able to mount it on my jib when need be. It's quick and easy to do, so why not?
I agree with Dave that we don't need a HD monitor on the stabilizer, but I think we should at least be getting top quality SD, I find it off-putting to see a lousy, VHS-ey, (dare I say) NTSC-ey image when my whole camera career has been trying to achieve the opposite in my viewfinder/monitor.

I know, I know, it's only for framing and I'll get used to it, but why do I keep feeling this cheap Chinese monitor that according to the website specs doesn't even reach NTSC SD line standard, let alone PAL, is a disappointment.
Chris Tangey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)