DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Glidecam vs Steadicam vs Varizoom (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/487765-glidecam-vs-steadicam-vs-varizoom.html)

Marty Jenoff November 20th, 2010 03:58 AM

Glidecam vs Steadicam vs Varizoom

I'm thinking of getting a stabilizer, but I'm having a hard time deciding between Glidecam HD4000, Steadicam Pilot, and the Varizoom GT Stabilizer or Aviator. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Dave Gish November 20th, 2010 07:19 AM

If you want a system with a vest, arm, and sled, the Pilot is best in class, hands down.

If you're just looking for a hand-held stabilizer, check out the CMR Blackbird.

Also remember that learning to use it will take some time. I compare it to learning to ski. You can get fairly decent results in a month or so, but if you want to compete at a professional level, that will take longer. Whatever level you're at, it can be a lot of fun doing it. And like skiing, it's more about balance than strength.

Hope this helps.

Marty Jenoff November 20th, 2010 08:31 AM

Looking for it all

I am looking for the vest, sled, arm, and also a monitor. They all seem to have packages that include everything:

VariZoom GT Stabilizer w/Anton-Bauer Mount - $2,259.95
VariZoom Aviator Stabilizer w/AB Mount - $3,369.95
Steadicam Pilot- Stablization System - with Anton Bauer Battery Mount - $3,895.00
Steadicam Pilot-AA Camera Stabilization System- $3,895.00
Glidecam HD4000K4 Kit 4 Stabilizer System- $2,994.95

My current camera is 8.16lbs plus battery and accessories. I'm thinking about getting the Sony HVR-Z7. I realize that the only one that can handle the weight of both cameras is both of the Varizoom models. The Steadicam and Glidecam models that can hold more then 10 lbs are too expensive for my blood.

John Kilderry November 20th, 2010 05:14 PM

Hey, Marty. I have the HD4000 kit 2 because I chose a different route for a monitor. I can tell you that Glidecam recommends being right at the 10 lb mark for best results. A tad over is okay, too. They even supply you with plates to get you as heavy as possible. I'm running an XHA1s with the wide adapter, a shotgun mic, and a Lectrosonics UCR100 without any problems.

Rob Knoll December 6th, 2010 11:02 AM

Option 6

May I present to you Option 6?
Indicam Pilot : $2395 (vest,arm,sled) add monitor...

Pricing info here:
Pricing

I dont know what your budget is, but mine was almost non existant. However after much searching around, I found the Indicam System. I have had mine for a week, and I am very impressed.
It is built very solidly, and holds up to 14lbs.

If your budget is $4000, you could get a fancy HD monitor (or 2) and some nice accessories with this rig.

In case you need more convincing, there are many people on this forum, including Peter Chung, who like this rig, and would recomend it.

Dave Gish December 6th, 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

If your budget is $4000, you could get a fancy HD monitor (or 2) and some nice accessories with this rig.
For Steadicam, I don't think HD monitors make much difference. You're mostly looking at the framing, especially the top edge of the frame.

The bigger issue for steadicam monitors is how they perform in direct sunlight. So the number of nits is more important than the number of pixels. Anti-reflective coatings are also helpful.

As a side note, the absolute best monitors for direct sunlight are the old green-screen CRT models. These cost around $15,000, and they're standard definition.

The main advantage of an HD monitor is if your camera doesn't have an SD output. In that case, you have to buy an HD to SD down-converter to run an SD monitor. On the other hand, if you use wireless video for other people to see the shot, then wireless HD costs a fortune, so you'll probably need a down-converter anyway.

Rob Knoll December 7th, 2010 04:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I suppose the hyperbole of my statement did not quite come across. My point was that with the money he saved, he could buy some accessories for his rig.
And thank you for the education about nits. That will help any who are looking for "spotting" monitors for their stabilizer. :)

Terry Thompson December 14th, 2010 10:45 PM

Thanks Rob,

I'm glad you like your system.

Correct me if I'm wrong (my wife does) but a monitor on a sled is mostly used for framing as Dave said. If you want that fantastic looking monitor ir should be for when you review your shots. That could be on location but still it would be a fairly small sized one when compared to a regular sized monitor. I mostly look for a monitor that I can see well in full sunlight because I do a lot of outside shooting.

Our system does hold payloads (cameras and accessories) ranging from less than a pound to over 14 lbs. like Rob said and it works very well.

Live long and shoot well.

Tery