EFP DVD or The Steadicam® Operator's Handbook at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1
New Boot

EFP DVD or The Steadicam® Operator's Handbook

I will start my own local buisness in march 2011 produsing comercials, weddings and short movies.
Does anyone have one of these products?
i want to buy a steadicam zephyr until march but i want to have a look before i spend too much money...
If anyone could send me the dvd or the ebook i would really appriciated.
I know i can buy them but after i bought the sony PMW EX1R i am out of money and i will buy the steadicam with bank loan
thanks in advanced
Kostas Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Major Player

If you're considering purchasing a Zephyr, the few dollars more for the DVD and Handbook will be a worthwhile investment. I have them both and they are both excellent resources. The Handbook is a bit more comprehensive than the DVD, which was actually shot a number of years ago. Though the rig in the DVD is "outdated" the information about it is every bit as relevant as ever. It is really nice to be able to see many of the principles in motion and for that reason I really like the DVD. I find myself referring to both the DVD and the Handbook quite a lot.

I would recommend buying both of them. If you get the rig you will need them, as well as to take a workshop. If you end up not getting the rig you could easily resell them.

I do hope you understand that if you get a rig in March that it will be some time before you are able to get good, usable footage with it, unless you have prior experience with stabilizers. Flying a camera is a skill. Much the same as buying a guitar does not make you a good musician, buying a Steadicam® does not make your shots smooth. It is the tool with which you learn to make smooth shots.

Good luck!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Just to reinforce the point that if you are going to invest in the Zephyr you really should take a workshop. Just a couple of day of being shown the basics by an experienced operator will make all the difference.

In the meantime The Steadicam Operator's Handbook is a fantastic resource & a really interesting read (I have it on my bedside table & usually read a little every day). It's the most comprehensive & well presented instructional manual on any subject that I have ever read.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Simpson View Post
If you're considering purchasing a Zephyr, the few dollars more for the DVD and Handbook will be a worthwhile investment... I would recommend buying both of them.
The Zephyr and Scout both ship with the EFP DVD.
http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/Ste...tPL_110910.pdf
http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/Ste...ISTPL_9910.pdf

And I wouldn't be surprised if they include this in the Pilot as well.

For the few dollars Tiffen makes on selling this DVD separately, I doubt it's worth their time. Tiffen should put the EFP video online. Just selling one extra rig because someone saw it on YouTube would more than make up for any money they lose in EFP DVD sales.

As for the handbook, just buy it. It's great for beginners, and a good reference going forward.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gish View Post
The Zephyr and Scout both ship with the EFP DVD.
http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/Ste...tPL_110910.pdf
http://www.tiffen.com/userimages/Ste...ISTPL_9910.pdf

And I wouldn't be surprised if they include this in the Pilot as well.

For the few dollars Tiffen makes on selling this DVD separately, I doubt it's worth their time. Tiffen should put the EFP video online. Just selling one extra rig because someone saw it on YouTube would more than make up for any money they lose in EFP DVD sales.
You don't get a copy of the EFP DVD when you buy a Pilot which does seem awfully mean.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Trustee

I have both. I must say the book is really comprehensive! Its worth getting. The DVD is outdated but the concepts are still good. Anyway, you can start with that but i really suggest getting some training but i guess its one step at a time for you.

Would suggest you focus on the basic gear before you go on to invest so much.
Old December 5th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #7
Major Player

I have both, but you must do a workshop. The book and DVD are good to consolidate what you will learn at the workshop.
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #8
Major Player

other option

We also have the "Stabilizer Basics" traning DVD that is for anyone who operates a steadycam type rig.

Tery

sort of from "The Princess Bride"

www.indicam.com
Terry Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Re: EFP DVD or The Steadicam® Operator's Handbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Thompson View Post
We also have the "Stabilizer Basics" traning DVD that is for anyone who operates a steadycam type rig.

Tery
Terry - are you guys out of business? I have tried your site a couple of time to get the DVD and it seems that the last update was 2005 and there are PHP errors to the point I can not contact you through your own site?

Contact me either here or PM - but I am interested in getting a copy of the Stabilizer Basics - specifically a download version to watch on my iPad.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)