DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Stabilizer for Canon XH-A1... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/488313-stabilizer-canon-xh-a1.html)

Michael Kim March 6th, 2007 01:43 PM

Best (budget) steadicam option for A1?

Given that the A1 is typically heavier than the previous generation of SD cameras, thought I'd ask you good folks what you all thought were good options to do cheap steadicam work. Or, if anything, those of you who have figured out a decent setup scheme for doing similar-style steadicam shooting, to elaborate on what you're all doing.

Doug Tessler March 6th, 2007 01:59 PM

spider brace

its cheap works well and its been great for my shoots.

only $65.00

my 2c

Doug T

Michael Kim March 6th, 2007 05:26 PM

What would people suggest for something a little more flexible than the spiderbrace?

David W. Jones March 6th, 2007 05:43 PM

IMHO, you need to do two things.
First, determine your max operating weight load.
Just an A1, or say an A1 with Marshall monitor, brick battery, matte box, wide angle adapter, so forth.... That way you narrow your search to only units in your weight range.
Second, set a budget.
Do you want to spend $1500. or $15,000?
That way you eliminate all the chafe and only compare steadi units that meet your requirements.

Good Luck with your quest!

Michael Kim March 6th, 2007 06:11 PM

David, thanks for the advice.

Finding a decent steadicam option for me has been something of a headache since prior to this my dealing with them was mostly through the home-made $15 type. Being of the starving college student type, he bulk of my money has already been spent on the camera itself, but I'm aiming to spend around the $1000 range for a steadicam and another $1000 for lights.

Charles Papert March 6th, 2007 08:08 PM

Michael:

I recently used the A1 with the Steadicam Merlin and found it a good combination. The camera was in stock form, but there were still enough counter-weights left over for the Merlin for me to suspect that it would be useable with the Canon wide-angle lens also. If you were to dress the camera up with mattebox, rods, wireless receivers etc. you would be pushing it pretty quickly. The Merlin is the lightest of the handheld stabilizers out there, so if you were to attempt this loaded setup with a Glidecam (for instance) you would discover that your useable shooting time would be limited by the fatigue factor.

Body-mounted systems will typically start at around the $1500 range. Obviously you'll be able to carry the rig longer with such a system.

Tom Houston March 7th, 2007 06:15 PM

Avoid the spiderbrace

It's a PVC mount that frankly ain't worth the $85 (With Shipping). I doubt I'll ever use it.

Michael Kim March 7th, 2007 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Houston (Post 637907)
It's a PVC mount that frankly ain't worth the $85 (With Shipping). I doubt I'll ever use it.

Tom, is there anything you are using now that you would recommend?

While I've said that the $1000 range would be ideal for my budget, I am willing to shell out more if it seems like it would be a worthwhile investment, since I'll be having this camera for some time.

Gregory Stevens May 13th, 2010 03:14 PM

Canon XH-A1 Stabilizer...

Hey all,

I am looking to either order or build a stabilizer for my Canon XH-A1. While I am not the handiest guy with tools, I don't mind experimenting if it will save me a decent amount of money. I am looking to spend under <$200 if possible; I was curious what some of you would suggest for such a heavy camera +6lbs...

Thanks in advance guys

-G

Gregory Stevens May 15th, 2010 12:57 AM

75 views and nothing! Where are all you steadicam gurus!?

Colin McDonald May 15th, 2010 02:38 AM

Greeting Gregory,

It could just be that 75 people have wondered why you haven't put "DIY stabilzer" into the Google search box at the foot of the page.

:-)

That in turn will lead to other links. Hope this helps.

EDIT: There again, if you spell it better than I did, you will get even more results.

John Rappa May 15th, 2010 05:42 AM

Have you considered

If you haven't already checked, there are a lot of DIY videos on YouTube - YouTube - steadicam diy

I did not come accross any, DIY, that I want to use. I also thought about trying Image Stabilizer software ($99) from NewBlue - www.newbluefx.com.
If anyone has used it, let me know if its everything they claim.

Gregory Stevens May 15th, 2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin McDonald (Post 1527241)
Greeting Gregory,

It could just be that 75 people have wondered why you haven't put "DIY stabilzer" into the Google search box at the foot of the page.

:-)

That in turn will lead to other links. Hope this helps.

EDIT: There again, if you spell it better than I did, you will get even more results.

No need to be snippy, of course I went to Google first, however, this camera is heavier than most DIY rigs that I have came across (more in the realm of 7D's, etc)

That's why I came to a professional forum asking what most would suggest to use. Thanks.

George Pada May 17th, 2010 10:42 AM

Steadycam for Under 200$

Gregory,

I like building various rigs for my Xh-A1 for 2 reasons:

1. It's way cheaper!!
2. It's a lot of fun

I have built a DIY dolly and a DIY skater dolly for far.

There are 2 things that I bought: A jib arm and a Steadicam Merlin.
Because I don't want to risk the safety of a professional jib arm and the construction accuracy that a real Steadicam has (even as small as Merlin).

So, my advice to you is to save enough money to buy a Merlin or another stabilizer that has been tested with the A1.

You will not regret it!
Cheers

P.S. I bought my Merlin used! It saved me a couple hundred euros ;-)

Gregory Stevens December 1st, 2010 04:51 PM

Stabilizer for Canon XH-A1...

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting a stabilizer for my Canon XHA1. I'm new to the stabilizer game so I'm curious as to what you all would suggest.

My budget is under <$500. Let me know what you think the best stabilizer may be for my particular camera and budget.

Thanks