My 35$ steadicam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 6th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

My 35$ steadicam

I've made the steadicam from materials available at our local hardware store. Here are some pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...8/5c43b199.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...8/6f6d9c59.jpg
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Wrangler

Nice design, Julius! Does that gimbal assembly have three axes of movement? Where did you find it?
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #3
Major Player

I like it.

.. hows that for simple and effective?

Did you make trhe frame or did you get it as one peice.

- Mikko
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert
Nice design, Julius! Does that gimbal assembly have three axes of movement? Where did you find it?
Yes it does. It's just a universal joint. I have it done in a manner that it will rotate on its axis.
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Wilson
I like it.

.. hows that for simple and effective?

Did you make trhe frame or did you get it as one peice.

- Mikko

It is really simple and quite effective since the top and the bottom weight can easily be adjusted to fit your balancing need.

Actually the frame is just an "overhead storage hook". Here is the picture: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...8/8443445e.jpg
I just sawed off the opposite end.
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice!
Do you have clearer pictures- I'm especially interested to see how you put that gimbal (universal joint) together. (Where do you pick up a universal joint?)
Philip Skaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Skaist
Nice!
Do you have clearer pictures- I'm especially interested to see how you put that gimbal (universal joint) together. (Where do you pick up a universal joint?)
I'll try to provide detailed pictures later.

The universal joint is a 1/2" KYK brand which is available at any hardware stores. Other brand includes Stanley but KYK is lot cheaper.
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM   #8
New Boot

Is it the same joint that is used by in the FlowPod by Varizoom ?
Yuli Krudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Variation on Julius' homemade stabilizer

Julius,

I took a stab at building a handheld stabilizer patterned after the one reflected in your posted photos. I found the overhead hanger at my local Ace Hardware. I obtained 5/16 throttle joint from NAPA auto parts, and dismantled an inexpensive, Wal-Mart tripod for the remainder of parts needed. Whereas your stabilizing weight is directly under the camcorder towards the rear, mine is front-loaded (on the lower arm segment that you cut off). I then cut off the opposite lower arm which you used to hold your balance weight.

My costs to build the homemade stabilizer was about the same as yours. My finished product eliminates typical handheld jerkiness and gives a pleasant appearance of floating on air (when walking, running, panning abruptly). The only difference I've noticed between my homemade stabilizer and several commercial units is that my unit produces slightly more "sway". The "sway" that I speak of occurs only when pan, tilt and stopping occurs abruptly, which is not the typical way one would shoot video --- except for test purposes.

Sorry, no pic available, as I don't have a place to post one.

HDG
Hawood Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Major Player

That sway is the Pendulum effect. Sounds like you have too much weight on the bottom. Either that, or just learn to operate with it. If you want to see the pendulum effect in motion like you've never seen before, just try to operate my rig! 15 pounds of monitor, battery, and steel connecting rods on the bottom, and 2 pounds of Canon ZR on the top. That thing is so bottom heavy, my gimbal is sometimes placed about 60% down the post, just to get it more agile, rather than being so inert.

Fun fun fun. If only my arm (the Steadicam one) hadn't broken this morning.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:28 PM   #11
Trustee

You should be arrested!

You're depriving Steadicam of more than $350 in profit for each unit they will no longer sell. I've always been outraged by the prices the companies in our industry are able to get away with.

Bravo.
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #12
Wrangler

Paul:

With all due respect, you must spend much of your life being outraged, then. Consider the price of a drink at a bar compared to how much it would cost to make at home--given the same percentage of markeup, that Steadicam JR would probably cost a couple of thousand dollars. When one really breaks down that so-called profit margin, a more realistic picture appears--one that takes into account overhead such as employees, R&D, advertising, operating expenses, patent attorneys and a myriad of other costs.

That might make you think that I am a "company" man; but no, I encourage homebuilding, no problems there. The only thing I object to is folks who spend hours and hours tinkering and question why it would possibly cost twice as much to buy the commercial version without placing any monetary value on their time.

OK--I'm off that horse.

Tom, sounds like you need to jettison some weight off the bottom of your rig! Have you considered carbon fibre posts instead of the steel ones? Not to hard to find these days. And I'm hoping your center post is aluminum, not steel...?

Hawood:

Tom is right about the pendulum effect being a function of operating. As a young man I was stuffed into a back seat of a car and handed a punchbowl full of keg beer to transport to an event. I quickly learned that fast stops and starts would get awfully sticky unless I compensated by tilting the punchbowl the other way to counteract the effect. Same thing with a stabilizer; you absolutely can make abrupt stops (and actually it does come up in regular shooting quite a bit), but you have to learn how to reign in the inertial forces that occur as a result.

The other thing that helped with the punchbowl was to put my head down and drain the contents, but that isn't translatable to Steadicam...!

good luck with it,

Charles
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:08 PM   #13
Major Player

"put my head down and drain the contents" ...LOL!

- Mikko
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #14
Wrangler

true story, Mikko--and this was probably within a year of taking the workshop so even through the haze I was thinking about the parallel with Steadicam--what a geek!
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:45 AM   #15
Major Player

Unluckily Charles, your hopes are unanswered, my post is Steel. Luckily it's decently thin, and only weighs about 2 pounds. I'm actually loving how much weight is on my sled. (I never once in my life thought I'd say that). It's just so darned inert.

I think this might be a testiment to how much I oped with handheld rigs, but I can operate my full sled handheld for about 10 minutes, before I feel like my arm is going limp. Then again, I'm a little bigger than the typical Steadicam operator, being 6'2, 240 pounds, and being able to dead lift 450, so I think I've got some advantages there. ;-) (Why does this board have no smileys?)

Yeah, looks like I may end up going to Home Depot tomorrow to, once again, try and buy more parts, just to try and fix the arm.

Oh, and the next version of my sled (next summer), will probably be either Al or CF, and will have Cody Deegan's backmount vest, a nice new 7" LCD, AB batteries, and a completely new 3A style arm (that's the only piece I might skimp on, just making it more of a Flyer arm instead).
Tom Wills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)