Steadicam Pilot to sell IDX batteries or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)

Old March 18th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadicam Pilot to sell IDX batteries or not?

I am currently quite happy using my lcd screen on the back of my camera's on my Pilot. I'm not really using the Pilot's LCD. I not real experience so am looking for suggestions as to if I should sell or trade the mount, charger, and 2 IDX batteries.

The IDX setup is expensive and the batteries won't last forever so wondering if I should sell them since I'm currently not using them.

Any advice?
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Steadicam Pilot to sell IDX batteries or not?

My advice is to learn to use the LCD on the bottom of the Pilot. Your operating will be better and safer (you can watch the ground and your shot at the same time).

Do you have the Steadicam Operators Handbook? Worth it if you're serious about good stabilizer operating. Also the Steadicam EFP training tape.
Mark Schlicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Everything Mark said, plus the following:

As you start using the Pilot more, you won't always be able to see the camera's LCD. For example, if you're moving forward but have the sled turned to your right, i.e. you're walking along side someone, you'll need the LCD on the bottom to see. Another example: you're moving forward but the lens is pointed back over your left shoulder, i.e. someone is following you. With the sled oriented these other ways, there's no way you'll be able to see the camera LCD. The monitor at the bottom of the sled allows you to to see in any position.
Dave Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Froom View Post
I am currently quite happy using my lcd screen on the back of my camera's on my Pilot. I'm not really using the Pilot's LCD.
I wonder how is that possible, you must be doing something wrong, don't get habits of wrong operation, I'm saying about my own experience - it is hard to get rid of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Froom View Post
Any advice?
read\watch instructional materials on streadicam operation;
power your camera and steadicam LCD from the pilot's battery,
Try to keep your rig setup closer to the heavy end limit
Old March 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice.

I'll keep them. I did a test the other night and the just looping a DVD into the SteadiCam's lcd, I got a little over 9 hours on 1 battery. Guess the batteries are still in great shape. Can't use it for the Camera as the voltage is wrong.

I'm using Canon DSLR's and sometimes the Panny GH1 hacked and GH2. When things settle down, will get back into a more conventional rig, but sold my Panasonic HD Camcorder and have decided to stick with the DSLR's for a while.

The learning curve has been long and on occasion I have been frustrated. I recently purchased the book Steadicam's Operator Handbook and that is helping, especially on dynamic balance.

I put 3 steel plates under my quick release plate to get more weight up top on the pilot.
The lcd on two camera's rotate and it's a quick adjustment if I move the lcd 90 degrees or flip it all the way out. The only place I anticipated a problem is going low off the floor.

I"ll give the LCD on the Pilot some more time and see if can't learn to use it the established way.

The safety issue of watching where I'm going is probably a good idea if nothing else.

Thanks again for the advice.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)