DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   X-22 vs. Zephyr, AB vs. V mount, SD vs. HD monitor (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/493451-x-22-vs-zephyr-ab-vs-v-mount-sd-vs-hd-monitor.html)

Mark Schlicher March 25th, 2011 09:45 PM

Re: X-22 vs. Zephyr, AB vs. V mount, SD vs. HD monitor

Charles, thanks for the rundown.

Glancing back at Bill's original post, I must mention another discovery I made about the Zephyr.

My Zephyr arm will not fly the promoted minimum 5lb payload. The lightest configuration I was able to put on it in testing was about 8 lbs (with two pounds of battery counterweight.) The arm was dialed all the way to its lightest setting.

Bug or feature? Well as I said earlier, I can always add weight (and gain benefits in the process) but sometimes its a real advantage to fly as light as possible.

Bill Hamell March 27th, 2011 06:18 PM

Mark,

Thanks for the heads up I was thinking the lighter side of the weight scale might present a problem. what are the dimensions if the camera plate I know a 4"x6"x3/8" piece of stainless is around five pounds that would get the rig to a minimum of around 10 lbs..

Bill

Mark Schlicher March 27th, 2011 07:18 PM

I add a weight plate sold by Steadicam Operator Janice Arthur of Chicago. $210. A steel plate that is tapped like a cheeseplate.

Weight cages and plates - The Steadicam Forum

She makes several, mine is 6.5lbs, which brings an HVX200 to around 14lbs, or a bare DSLR to around 8 (so you still may wan to add some mass). When I flew the 5D, it had rails and bracketry and a Hytron 50 that added another 3lbs or so...so I was in the 11-12lb range with that setup.

There are other, possibly cheaper ways to weight down the stage, but this is versatile and was worth the investment to me. However you do it, make sure it is stable (no flex or vibrations) and safe.

Bill Hamell March 29th, 2011 07:35 AM

Mark,

Thanks, but I'll make one for around $70 (material and shipping) add machinist to my list of skills. :)

I tried to view the photo but you need to be registered and I could not find Garrett's surname so it would not accept me. Could you give me the dimensions of the plate you are using?

Thank you,
Bill

Mark Schlicher March 29th, 2011 11:10 AM

Bill,

If you review the thread I linked, you will see Janice lists all the dimensions of her plates.

Have fun, and post pics!

Bill Hamell March 29th, 2011 12:04 PM

Mark I'm sorry I must have scrolled right past it thank you.

Mark Schlicher April 4th, 2011 10:55 AM

i'm about to post a detailed comparison between the Zephyr SD monitor, the Flyer monitor and a Lilliput monitor on the other Zephyr thread.

David Aronson May 22nd, 2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Schlicher (Post 1631629)
The arm is connected to a Garfield mount directly to the Mitchell riser. I previously bought a used Garfield mount and added a Flyer/Zephyr/Scout/Pilot female socket block to it. About $100 for the socket block part number 803-7801. The riser and ubangi and platform were rigged by the Key Grip and provided with the camera car.

As for the monitor, my feeling is that they basically ARE selling it without a monitor. :-) By that I mean, they put their parts and engineering money into the other components to keep the selling price down to $8995.

It's a decision I'm not wild about but I can understand (what I presume to be) their thinking.

At some point, our choice becomes whether to spend a lot of effort worrying about it rather than devoting that time to getting work with the rig. A day or two of paid operating can pay for a pretty sweet replacement monitor. Not that it's not a real issue and irritant.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't voice our concerns, but ultimately its not an un-solvable problem. Just something to be aware of when considering the rig purchase.

I think the person behind you wanted your croissant. XD

Mark Schlicher May 22nd, 2011 09:06 PM

LOL. That's the key grip. If he wanted a croissant, I'd have gotten it for him...always be nice to the guy who rigs your safety harness! :-)

David Aronson June 1st, 2011 06:10 PM

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread...