DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Sony NX5U Stabilizer? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/494123-sony-nx5u-stabilizer.html)

Bob Krieger April 5th, 2011 08:25 AM

Sony NX5U Stabilizer?

I'm looking for first hand stories on those of you who have used a stabilizer (any stabilizer) with your NX5U/AX200/similar size&weight Sony cam.
I'd like to find out your thoughts, good and bad, on what you've used before. I'd like to hear from actual users to be just one addition source of data upon which to make my decision on what to buy or not buy.

Thanks, y'all!

Bob Krieger April 10th, 2011 01:05 PM

Try this on for size...

OK, no takers?

Has anyone tried using a Steadicam Merlin arm and vest with a Glidecam HD4000 sled? If so, what kind of weight are we talking about flying? I've found a few places online where people are talking about this combo, but the most they're flying are 5DMkII's and 7D's. The Glidecam says it will support up to 10lbs. The arm is supposed to be similar/identical to a pilot arm system. The pilot itself supposedly supports up to 10 lbs.

Just looking for user reviews and/or independent confirmation or denial.

Thanks, y'all...

Dipesh Parmar June 15th, 2011 07:57 AM

Re: Sony NX5U Stabilizer?

Hey there, Sorry for the deley i have been away shooting over sea's. i have 3 Sony NX5P (U,E) Same P is OZZY Model, i use the Glidecam 4000Pro with a Smooth Shooter, and also a 4000HD... But if u were to buy one, buy the Glidecam X10 with the 4000HD... That will work really well with the NX5 and Wide Lens... and Extra's (Such as Microphone, Wireless Kit) together.

Many thanks

Galen Rath July 24th, 2011 04:12 PM

Hi, Bob. Did you ever make a decision on this?

Chris Sgaraglino February 12th, 2012 12:14 PM

7 Attachment(s)
I have had a GC4000 Pro for several months now and trying to handhold this with the NX5u is difficult at best (unless you are Rambo).

I picked up the SmoothShooter vest last week and spent yesterday setting up everything.
I also added a 5" HDMI monitor to the top so that I can what's going on a little better.

I did have it mounted to the sled - but I really did not like the feel of the rig - and up on top keeps everything at eye level.

I have the SS Arm tension set so that it is level at rest ( GC recommendation) - so far I am very happy around the house. As soon as the wether gets a little better I'll take it outside and get some real footage...

Chris Sgaraglino February 20th, 2012 04:35 PM

Horrid County Insane Asylum - Colorado

This is my VERY First Flight with the GlideCam 4000Pro and the SmoothShooter Vest. These are just a couple of the clips foprm the day's shoot; as I got to spend the day at the Horrid County Insane Asylum - this was more fun than I was expecting! (?)

I still have a LOT to learn - but I am totally digging this shot and I have already been ashed to shot on a short in my local area.

Rob Cantwell March 30th, 2012 07:35 PM

I was thinking along the same lines as Bob, I have a HXR_NX5 and got a Glidecam HD 4000 some time back. Without a vest it's nearly impossible to hold for any length of time, plus i haven't really had enough spare time to get more familiar with it. I saw an item on ebay that has a Steadicam vest & arm modified to accommodate the Glidecam HD 4000. The X10 isn't available at least from ebay in the EU.
Anyone think this might be a worthwhile combo?