JVC GY-HM700 with Steadicam Scout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC GY-HM700 with Steadicam Scout

(I had this in the wrong section before)

I rented a Steadicam Scout to see how it is and how hard these are to use. As predicted they are difficult. These obviously require alot of patience. And my rig at 11lbs with Century wide angle, matte box, 4x4 polarizer filter, and Sennheiser isnt lite weight( not like a old 30lb tape unit). With the harness and arm and plate its a true test of your fitness if worn for more than 30 minutes walking, steps etc.

So today after 2hrs total strap in time I decided to ask my assistant to help me make a short test video because I wanted to see how bad I was and how far I have to go before I dare take this on a gig working in the pits for autoracing etc.

And to make the shots even more critical I added in a 2.35 letterbox which shows all the mistakes etc. But now I have a much better idea of whats involved and I will say I like the challenge of using the Steadicam. It "seems" like if you spent the time daily chasing kids thru the house, doing various spontaneous type shots where your footing isnt always known you would adapt in due time. I have a long way to go but these are great for what I do.

First time.

Second time next day
Myles Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: JVC GY-HM700 with Steadicam Scout

Very nice, and i can tell second shot was pretty windy, so you did amazingly well for the second time wearing the rig, I always keep my setup at it's weight limit, doesn't make it lighter, but it sure makes it easier to fly, especially outdoors
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks man. Thanks for the feedback. I am ordering one next month.

Mw
Old August 27th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Wrangler

Myles:

Good work for your first few outings with the Scout! You have an aptitude for it.

To get your accuracy down, rather than "chasing the kids through the house" you will be better off with the more structured and time-proven exercises that we use with all operators to train the operating hand. While more rambunctious and spontaneous subjects are good to practice with to develop skills that will help with documentary-style shooting, it's important to get the basic skills and form down properly for more controlled shots. As you may have noticed, it's a lot tougher to walk slowly and shoot wide architectural shots than chase someone around.

I'd recommend your first purchase be the least expensive Steadicam accessory that is also one of the more important: http://www.amazon.com/Steadicam®-Operators-Handbook-Jerry-Holway/dp/0240811658. Years in the making, it's the definite work on the subject and contains descriptions of the various "line dances" that have been the cornerstone of learning Steadicam since the beginning.

Have fun!
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

And I thank you dearly for this advice Charles. Ordering this NOW ! It also makes sense too. I posted this to get feedback and take it all in and get better. I also play drums and compare the "anticipation" to that in a big way. Getting 3 things to do 1 thing smoothly is very difficult.

thanks again !

Myles
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Looks good. Next purchase should be a circular polarizer :) ...although having just re-read your post I see there's a 4x4 in a matte box.. hm...sorry?
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

sorry just saw this. Yes a 4x4 polarizer. I am starting to play with more but will probably get a new matte box soon to increase the options available to me.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Myles:

Good work for your first few outings with the Scout! You have an aptitude for it.

To get your accuracy down, rather than "chasing the kids through the house" you will be better off with the more structured and time-proven exercises that we use with all operators to train the operating hand. While more rambunctious and spontaneous subjects are good to practice with to develop skills that will help with documentary-style shooting, it's important to get the basic skills and form down properly for more controlled shots. As you may have noticed, it's a lot tougher to walk slowly and shoot wide architectural shots than chase someone around.

I'd recommend your first purchase be the least expensive Steadicam accessory that is also one of the more important: The Steadicam Operator's Handbook. Years in the making, it's the definite work on the subject and contains descriptions of the various "line dances" that have been the cornerstone of learning Steadicam since the beginning.

Have fun!
BTW bought this book and WOW ! Its an eye opener. Loving it and benefitting very much. Now time to find a used Scout or Zephyr.

Mw
Myles Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.)