DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Older Steadicam Flyer or Pilot? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/501048-older-steadicam-flyer-pilot.html)

Garrett Low September 25th, 2011 11:14 PM

Older Steadicam Flyer or Pilot?

I'm looking into getting a used Steadicam to use with my EX3. Would I be better off getting an older original Flyer (non LE) or a newer Pilot? Ideally I'd like to be able to use my Chrosziel MB with it and my Nanoflash. I believe that would exceed the capacity of the Pilot. If all I did was use the EX3 with the Nanoflash I would still be within the payload limit.

Is an older Flyer a better option than a newer Pilot even though it doesn't have the adjustable post and it is made from aluminum instead of CF.

I greatly appreciate any help.

-Garrett

Andrew Stone September 26th, 2011 12:14 AM

Re: Older Steadicam Flyer or Pilot?

Hi Garrett,

I have been using a Flyer for better part of 3 years. Once you tart up your EX3 with accessories including low mode mount on the handle, a rails baseplate, , mattebox, wireless mic receiver, possibly a wide angle adapter you are easily way over the limit of a Pilot. You also get the benefit of placing decent batteries on the bottom of the sled to act as ballast. A Steadicam also start to behave decently when you get close to the 15 pound range. They aren't as flighty.

Many Steadicam Ops operate their rigs in with the shortest post possible (this means ALL kinds of Ops), The rig behaves better with fast start stops, whip pans, moving in and out of dutch shots and getting your rig into tight places. Extending the post becomes useful when you want to balance your rig quickly or you want to get extended reach.

Pilots are great rigs for wearing all day but you would have to use your EX3 without much in the way of accessories.

If you can take one of TIFFEN's two day courses, many if not all your questions will be answered and you will have a more tangible sense of what kind of rig you should get. They offer them frequently all over North America. Peter Abraham is your contact and probably the teacher.

Charles Papert September 26th, 2011 07:00 AM

Great answer Andrew, that pretty much covers it.I'd only add that the physical design of the Pilot is an improvement over the Flyer particular in terms of the battery/monitor configuration (allowing for improved dynamic balance possibilities), but the payload is the payload and if the Pilot won't cut it, it's a moot point.

Garrett Low September 26th, 2011 09:31 AM

Thanks Andrew and Charles,

I set up and weighed my ideal configuration and sure enough the Pilot is a no go. I'd like to get a Flyer LE but even used those are just outside of the budget, at least for now.

Could you give me some ideas of what to look out for when searching for a used Flyer? What are some of the signs of either abuse or excessive wear?

Thanks,
Garrett

Joe Lawry September 28th, 2011 12:37 AM

The LE's a great rig.

Flyer LE For Sale - The Steadicam Forum

That ones a pretty good deal.

I had a pilot before I got my flyer, and the flyer is so much better. My flyer still sees a fair bit of use even though I now have a full sized rig. Great for cheap 5D music videos etc.

Dano Motley September 28th, 2011 12:13 PM

I have a friend who wants to sell his flyer.. He used it three times. It is in mint condition and has the heavy duty flight storage box.

If interested email me at danofilms@gmail.com I will forward the info to him.

Always,

Dano