DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   best stabilizers for XL2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/50443-best-stabilizers-xl2.html)

Allen Thok September 2nd, 2005 02:34 PM

best stabilizers for XL2?

Hey guys ! I'm fairly new to the canon xl2. I was wonderING if anyone could give me advice on which is the best stabilizer for the XL2. I've found most stabilizers to have a weight limit and that creates a problem with the XL2.
I've been reading up on the "STEADYTRACKER". please help

Jay Gladwell September 2nd, 2005 02:55 PM

Allen, try doing a search or browse "Support Your Local Camera." This has been discussed many, many times.

Jay

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2005 04:07 PM

Moved to Support Your Local Camera forum from XL2 forum.

Jimmy McKenzie September 2nd, 2005 04:18 PM

I just finished up an industrial shoot with the steadytracker and the XL2. Quite good. Like any non spring loaded, no vest stabilizer, it does take some practice.

Mikko Wilson September 3rd, 2005 03:22 AM

That weight limitation your mentioned is actually a limit of how much YOU can hold up! - most stabilizers will need about ½ the camera's weight again in counterweight to keep them ballanced... imagine holding a XL2 and a half steady for any period of time... no, not on yrou shoulder, but outstreched infront of you..

Steadytracker doesn't have a gimble.. you might as well do the tripod trick and use the money on something mroe usefull like.. a beer. (And I don't even drink!)

Look into somethign with a gimble. There are lots of them out there. Just read threough this thread.

I'd definatly bee looking for somethgin with an vest and arm to help carry that weight.. the result will be mugh better.

My sugestion would be that if you can afford it, definatly get the Steadicam Flyer. It's the best you can get, and it shows.

And dont' forget all the other, sometimes much more applical (and cheaper) stabilizers: dolly, jib/crane.. and of course a good tripod!

- Mikko

Jimmy McKenzie September 4th, 2005 07:11 PM

No gimble, no problem. Once you develop a steady hand, you would never consider usiong a tripod as a steady device. It does take practice.

Charles Papert September 4th, 2005 09:49 PM

Jimmy:

Glad you are happy with your Steadytracker, that's the most important thing.

However, since the question was posed "what's the best stabilizer for an XL2", I agree with Mikko that it would have to be a gimbal-based system. The "weighted stick" concept represented by the Steadytracker is great for certain circumstances but for truly subtle moves the additional isolation afforded by a gimbal is critical. It may well be the case that a practiced hand with a Steadytracker may produce better results than a novice on a Glidecam/Steadicam etc. but given an experienced operator on both, the limitations of the non-gimballed system will reveal itself.

And like Mikko, my vote for best in class is the Flyer.

Mikko Wilson September 4th, 2005 11:35 PM

hey CP, you goign to IBC?

- Mikko

Charles Papert September 5th, 2005 12:20 AM

Nope--I don't really travel much to trade shows (Vegas is about as far as I go) and I'm recovering from a broken ankle besides, so no 10 hr plane journeys in the near future! Have fun if you are going, though.