DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Stabilizers (Steadicam etc.) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/)
-   -   Learning to fly......the Merlin (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/stabilizers-steadicam-etc/506042-learning-fly-merlin.html)

Marcus Martell March 12th, 2012 01:13 PM

Learning to fly......the Merlin

Any suggestions are highly appreciated! I m sure i Have to bilance
It well
La Valle test on Vimeo

Marcus Martell March 12th, 2012 04:47 PM

Re: Learning to fly......the Merlin

Hope my idol Charles pops up to give me suggestions
;)

Enrique Orozco Robles March 12th, 2012 07:27 PM

great stuff.... what camera are you using ?

Marcus Martell March 13th, 2012 02:53 AM

550d and d5100

Buba Kastorski March 13th, 2012 12:44 PM

hey Marcus, slow down a little, and you're a bit bottom heavy

Marcus Martell March 13th, 2012 02:25 PM

Buba i m learning so your suggestion are highly appreciated!
So u suggest to:

- don t run and slow down a little

- bottom heavy, so i should turn a gimbal in clockwise side? What exactly affect this?

Many thanks

Todd Mizomi March 13th, 2012 04:21 PM

Nice! Great location as well.

I dd a similar test a while ago with the Merlin and my 7D.

In the video I listed the settings I used on the Merlin. I know its not an exact match to your setup but it might give you some ideas. I'm still getting used to flyng it myself.

Marcus Martell March 14th, 2012 05:12 AM

Nice! I liked it on vimeo

Buba Kastorski March 15th, 2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Martell (Post 1720726)
- bottom heavy, so i should turn a gimbal in clockwise side? What exactly affect this?

it's hard to tell without holding the unit, but i think just turning the gimbal is not enough, cuz that's a very fine adjustment, what i mean your drop time is probably less than 2 seconds and being a bit bottom heavy shows right away, keep your drop time 2 seconds at least, and to get that either add weight on top, or turning adjustment knob shorted the distance between bottom weight and the mounting plate.

Marcus Martell March 17th, 2012 02:05 PM

Guys many Thx to your precious suggestion....
I ll try to shoot a video framing the Merlin with the camera on and i ll show you the drop time test.... I m sure i m doing something wrong over there....
Is it ok for u?

Charles Papert March 17th, 2012 02:19 PM

Hi Marcus: sadly, I'm a bit of a hack with the Merlin, as are many big-rig operators. It's so damn delicate! Kind of like: a real helicopter pilot won't automatically be a good RC helicopter pilot, ya know?

Your video wasn't accessible so I can't give any notes, but I always recommend fliers of any kind of gimballed stabilizer to buy the Steadicam Operator's Handbook, because most of the techniques therein are applicable to any rig.

It's a long process to get it down. Patience is key. As Buba says, move slowly and get a feel for the delicacy first. Put a tape cross on the wall and walk towards it slowly, then back away. Far more enlightening that following human beings.

Marcus Martell March 17th, 2012 04:11 PM

Hola Charles aka the michael Jordan of the steadicam,

Thx for taking time to help me! First steps with a small steadicam like the Merlin and i want to learn the basics.... Unfortunately i can t afford a workshop in this bad period.... But i ll buy the book 4 sure!
Just checked the video on vimeo and plays fine !